addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never found frog bodies in the spring. They seem to know what to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well I know I went into winter with 2 leopard frogs and 1 bullfrog in the pond. We had a heatwave last couple of days and pond is 2/3 open. First good look I have had in the pond for a few weeks. Pulled out the 2 leopard frogs this am. Saw one laying on the bottom belly up. And the other I scooped up with a little bit of leaf litter. :( Saw them both a few weeks ago sunning themselves. They were sluggish but alive. We have had some bitter cold temps since then.
Last winter was the first winter with the pond and I did not have any frogs trying to overwinter. So I guess the leopard frogs will not fair well over winter in my zone 5 pond. Note for next winter: Better relocate frogs to some mud bottom pond before the cold winter temps? :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They like to nest in kitty litter in my lotus lily pond .I saw them yesterday .I guess warm sun brought them out to take a look .It was in the 50's yesterday and for the rest of next week .I wish I had the camera .They scared me when they moved ,I thought it was a snake .There are pots down there yet with the lilies in them and they are planted in kitty litter and crushed oyster shells .The lotus plants I put in the basement and know wonder if I also moved some frogs in with them .They are in a stock tank with a grow light bulb .I have it on a timer that comes on at 12 pm and stays on until 6 am .Rates are cheaper then for electric .I may have to go down and take a look ,I did not even think of that happening until now .GEEZE :rolleyes:dummy me :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've found bullfrogs sitting on the shelves, between the rocks, but dead come spring. I found a small bullfrog in the skimmer about 2 weeks ago, when I decided to pull the pump, and relocate it deeper in the water. Put him back in the basket. I've found them in the big Skippy (garbage can) filter come spring, but since the water got drained out, they were dead as well. I have a farm pond, so there are always plenty that come each year. Wish I could tag them, so I knew if they were same ones from previous year. Temps were over 50 today, and both ponds have less than half ice cover.

Reaction score
I've been going out to my pond daily to see if any frogs have arrived back, hoping that I'll get frogspawn very soon. Last night I spotted a frog in my wildlife pond and so now I'm playing the waiting game to see if any other frogs arrive and whether I'll be fortunate enough to get frogspawn.

I'd actually took a walk a few nights earlier to a nearby nature pond to see if there was any frogspawn there but found nothing so perhaps now the temperature has started to rise they're coming to life again and breeding is imminent.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Well hey there guys, haven't been on for a long time.

Been a winter and everything dissappeared from my pond, plants died.. And over christmass water ran out from pond so think there's a blockage causing an overflow but kept filling.

However week or two ago I did a bit of cleaning and found a frog and a newt so there was life. Been checking it's clear and not much happened. I came back from work today to find 11 frogs, 3 newts.. And a tad bit of spawn.. I even found 4 intertwined... 4!! ..

Here's some pics to bring faith they will be in ponds soon!!!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It's pretty early here by me for frogs to even think about spawning, but yesterday's 65 degrees brought out a couple of bullfrogs (one was croaking to me while I was working on the pond bog!!!) and peeper frogs. Woohoo, they are baaaaaaaack!!!!
bullfrog.JPG
first peeper frog.JPG
peeper frog.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
We had our first freeze since hearing the peepers, so that means only two more times getting below 32, right? I sure hope so anyhow!!! Going up to 66 on Sat., and only time predicted freezing or below is next Monday. I'll take that! It's really hard to spot the peepers when they are singing in the road ditches, which seems to be where they hang out around by me. They are sooo tiny, and just duck under the water.

Ask a Question