Garlic in pond to threat parasites

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hmmm... I'm not so sure about that. Modern medicine relies heavily on modern pharmaceuticals. There's no money to be made from prescribing a good dose of garlic, so no one does the research, so no one finds if it works, so no one prescribes it. However, that still doesn't mean it doesn't work. Lots of things work that doctors don't prescribe... and lots of things would get better all on their own without doctors getting involved at all. (Not a big fan of a lot of our current medical practices.)

Trust me they would extract it, refine it, bottle it, brand it and sell it for $$.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's not just anecdotal about garlic being effective against fish parasites.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8454(2003)065<0021:EOSPAG>2.0.CO;2?src=recsys&journalCode=unaj20
Applicable to fish farming, effects on other bacteria not a concern.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jfd.12129/abstract
Used as a dip.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0044848612004255
Administered internally as a feed additive.

While it may be effective against certain external parasites, it would appear impractical and, maybe unsafe, for use in a garden pond due to the required level of application (damage to nitrifying bacteria and other organisms) and the sheer quantity of garlic extract required (cost).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
In a pond, I would only use garlic infused food for a period of 2 months and then reassess.
If a person was able to isolate a fish in a quarantine tank, I would both feed with garlic infused food and add garlic extract to the water in the concentration mentioned in the first paper I posted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
In a pond, I would only use garlic infused food for a period of 2 months and then reassess.
If a person was able to isolate a fish in a quarantine tank, I would both feed with garlic infused food and add garlic extract to the water in the concentration mentioned in the first paper I posted.

Actually the first paper is exactly you wouldn't bother to use as a dip.

Here is the quote "Thus, compared with malachite green (0.1 mg/L), higher concentrations of both sodium percarbonate and garlic extract are needed."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Actually the first paper is exactly you wouldn't bother to use as a dip.

Here is the quote "Thus, compared with malachite green (0.1 mg/L), higher concentrations of both sodium percarbonate and garlic extract are needed."

I'm more interested in the sentence "Garlic extract had no effect in low amounts (30 mg/L), but at high concentrations (117 and 570 mg/L) it killed the tomocysts within 24 h"

That's my personal preference though.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Lets put it this way.. if it really worked, doctors would be prescribing it for parasitic infections.
LOL, no they wouldn't, it would be to cheap to prescribe. You always need a pill.

My question is, what about honey? NOTHING can live in honey.
what about for fish?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Also, I think its time for the OP to conduct an experiment since "no one knows the TRUE proven answer to this question".
Why not add small amounts of garlic (maybe just minced), put it in a tea bag or something, hang it in the water. That way when it decomposes eventually just pull it out. See if it worked or not.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
LOL, no they wouldn't, it would be to cheap to prescribe. You always need a pill.

My question is, what about honey? NOTHING can live in honey.
what about for fish?

No, the drug companies would make it into a pill... brand it and copyright it.... put all kinda ads on tv and your doctor would be prescribing it....

BTW, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_botulinum Clostridium Botulinum lives in honey. That's why your pediatricians tells you not to feed them to babies.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Clostridium Botulinum lives in honey. That's why your pediatricians tells you not to feed them to babies.
hmm... Well that's cool! I was watching Justin Rhodes last night on youtube (idk if anyone has heard of him on here, cool channel go check it out) and he was interviewing this guy who had, some variety of European bees (super aggressive) and he said in his vid that nothing lives In honey (hence why I said that). But now I know this, I guess he was wrong? hm.
Well anyway Faebinder thanks for posting the link and such. My parents didn't know about this either, and there bee keepers!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No new information on Garlic's possible effects on external parasites, but I did run across this-

"The 96 hrs LC50 of the aqueous garlic extract for juveniles of C. carpio was estimated to be 253.19 mg/L. Furthermore, fish exposed to the different concentrations of the aqueous garlic extract exhibited abnormal behavior. The susceptibility of C. carpio to the lethal effects of the aqueous garlic extract was duration and concentration-dependent. Fish mortality was found to be associated with the decrease in pH values"
EVALUATION OF TOXICITY LEVELS OF THE AQUEOUS EXTRACT OF ALLIUM SATIVUM AND ITS EFFECTS ON THE BEHAVIOR OF JUVENILE COMMON CARP (CYPRINUS CARPIO L., 1758)
GARETH GORDON SYNGAI1, SUDIP DEY, RUPJYOTI BHARALI (2016)

Ask a Question