Glad to have found you!

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Jenny. I live in northern Wisconsin and seem to be one of the few and brave to try ponding in the frozen north.

I have an 1800 gallon pond that I'm continuously improving and expanding. Well technically it's two ponds (one 1200 gal and one 600 gal) connected via 6" PVC pipe. I added the 600 gallon addition this fall making it extra deep so I could try overwintering the koi in the pond.

All 6 of my koi and 2 shubunkins came through the winter in the pond buried under about 8 inches of ice and several feet of snow. I'm very excited to been successful on my first try as I've found that most of my pond knowledge has come through trial and error despite reading and arming myself with as much knowledge as I can find on forums like this beforehand! LOL

I'm going into my third year with the pond and will be trying to grow lotuses for the first time this year. I have several 50 gallon tubs buried around the pond that I unsuccessfully tried to grow some water lilies in last year. The water lilies eventually found their way into the pond and thrived there but I thought I'd put those tubs to use and grow some lotus. I'm also toying the idea of maybe using one as a bio filter after I install a retro bottom drain (one of those things I know now that I wish I knew then!). I don't think I've worked up the energy just yet to do the digging. Talk to me again in about a month when the weather is finally nice enough to be outside working in the pond! LOL

Here's a picture of my pond as it was last August. It has changed since then with the 600 gal addition and most likely will change again before 2011 is over!

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to learning from all the people here!

Jenny

Attachments

• mckenna and the pond.jpg
    mckenna and the pond.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 279

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Jenny, Looks like you did your homework very well! Very nice looking pond, love the landscaping around it, Very natural looking! Love to see update pics!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow beautiful pond Jenny! Love the plants, the totally natural look to it. You did a great job.

Welcome glad you joined the pond fanatics.

flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

Ask a Question