Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sadly one of the ducklings was adventurous and took off . While the sibling seemed very happy munching duckweed , koi pellets and bugs . he went walk about yesterday and we couldn't find him. but the sibling as always seems happy hanging at the pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20180701_181917.jpg
For an easy, fast grower try watercress. Just pick up a bunch from your local grocery (doesn't matter if it even has any roots) and tuck the sprigs in between the rocks. You'll be amazed how fast it takes off. It does like moving water though so pick spots where the water is flowing, even slowly.

We did find that we had to feed our marginals for the first year or so - as you said, there just aren't a lot of nutrients in new pond water. They were growing, but they just weren't green. They looked a bit anemic. So I added some iron around the base of the plants that looked like they needed it and I even stuck some aquatic plant fertilizer tabs into some of the roots to give them a boost. By the end of our second season, everything was completely on it's own and growing like crazy.

Just did this today at 1.49 a bunch I hope this takes off for some cheap and easy greenery. Doesn't taste bad either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You actually could have put one sprig in between each rock and by next week you'd be able to set up your own watercress stand and sell to your neighbors!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You actually could have put one sprig in between each rock and by next week you'd be able to set up your own watercress stand and sell to your neighbors!
Hmmm better idea than what I did. I will separate them if they root :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The duckling is hanging on his own we stopped catching him / her at night and she's still hanging at the pond I mean why not she is definitely pampered around here all the food she can eat.
I also managed to get my tree stump back together it's rather large and I had to cut /split it up to get it here without and equipment but it's all back together and I'm lovin it.
Pond ducklings Quackers   (2 of 2).JPG
Pond ducklings Quackers   (1 of 2).JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm glad the duckling is doing well and wow! I love that tree stump!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pond is so beautiful and look at all your plants
Lots of fertilizer I have over stocked a new pond. Plants are cranking and the heat wave we are having the lettuce and the Water Hyacinth are doubling almost daily.
Your pond is turning out to be just as stunning as your tank
A compliment for sure I so miss my planted tank
I love that tree stump
I drove around looking for a tree stump for months. When I saw this one, I knew it was it. But getting it home was going to be a challenge and a half it was not right next to a road. And it was way more then I could carry or drag out. Well thanks to being stubborn and a bit determined I found a way to get it home . I felt it fit so well nothing was going to stop me. And there she stands!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How do I get on the stump delivery list? That is the "piece de resistance" of your lovely pond!
I'd tend to agree with you there, Flattery will get you ........... .......... ...... ........... .... .... .. .

Ask a Question