Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The edges of the pond after a year some of the items i used to conceal the liner. and some of the neighbors who have stopped by
1224-27  (2 of 2).jpg
1224-27  (1 of 2).jpg
Lilly lettiuce (1 of 1).jpg
One years  growth  (2 of 29).jpg
One years  growth  (3 of 29).jpg

Pitcher plant
One years  growth  (4 of 29).jpg
I love moss even some of the moss i used has died but other moss is quickly growing in it's place
One years  growth  (6 of 29).jpg
One years  growth  (8 of 29).jpg
Bottom of the photo is the stagnant pond no flow is pushed through i guess it could be looked at as a rain garden but it's source is from high water when it does rain
One years  growth  (9 of 29).jpg
One years  growth  (14 of 29).jpg
One years  growth  (20 of 29).jpg
The stream that is built up on one side to prevent run off from the neighbors lawn care
One years  growth  (19 of 29).jpg
This grasss is hiding a two foot tall Snorkel pipe and you would never guess it the grass/ sage is so thick

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One years  growth  (12 of 29).jpg

This is the bog area both the snorkel bog and the pea stone bog
One years  growth  (15 of 29).jpg
Snorkel bog is above with the water fall area , stream is to the right
One years  growth  (16 of 29).jpg

This is the pea stone bog moss covers the surface along with Canna in red , Red Cardinal plant in the center some iris and Micro cat tails well Others i forget what they are. But they grow and thats all we are looking for . the deep green in back the lemon yellow and the pink is in the snokel bog .
One years  growth  (18 of 29).jpg

Obedient plant to the upper left not flowering as yet in this photo , garlic which is the pic, foget me nots lime yellow in back. bog bean in the front
One years  growth  (21 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (29 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (28 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (27 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (25 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (13 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (24 of 29).jpg
The papyrus in the middle of the photo i wanted it add it to the pond but didn't want to let it loose so i made a island using a aquablox along with two other pieces to fill in to the shore line the plant was then placed on the perforated panel that is just sitting in the water an inch or so and i placed gravel around the roots on the perforated panels . the idea was to allow for the roots to grow like wild fire uninhibited in th upper pond all the water would have to filter it's way through the mass off roots. this photo was from the spring / early summer it has flourished

Attachments

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing the updated pictures. I love all your plants. They make your pond seem like it has always been there.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Lisa, coming from the wikipedia of this forum that means a lot. {ALL GOOD} I enjoy creating things and when i have fun doing it it usually shows. I have thought about it., Trust me i have thought about it . I wouldn't have to travel , not like i do now any ways. It's probably one reason why it is taking shape so well it was built to be left alone because i would be traveling and could not fuss with it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing the updated pictures. I love all your plants. They make your pond seem like it has always been there.
Thanks Cas, your blog helped me along the way i always liked how you kept your plantings .

Reactions: cas
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow @GBBUDD all looks so beautiful!
Thank you jw. i used the rule of thirds a lot plants rocks water along with some drift wood and it has definitely turned out like i hoped it would. Now for the fun part of any mature garden . WEEDING

• Love
Reactions: j.w
Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just love your pond, it is beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There' s probably not one regular in here that i didn't pick up something from in the design of my pond I thank you all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just love your pond, it is beautiful!
Opps... not quite sure what happened tot he text there.

Thanks Addy1 ,
You and your bog forum/post and your amazing back yard were probably the icing on the dream. I When I saw the aquascape video Worlds most beautiful back yards. i started doing some home work and found this forum . when i saw the average joe was building and creating there own slice of paradise i went for it
THANK YOU

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Thanks Lisa, coming from the wikipedia of this forum that means a lot.
You are too kind - most of what I know I learned right here from people who are years ahead of me in this hobby. I devoured every post on this forum for many months and then started to form my beliefs from what I read and observed. My own pond has taught me so much. Mostly patience, but also the power of observation and the miracles that nature can do if given a chance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but also the power of observation and the miracles that nature can do if given a chance.
You hit the nail on the head ......After years and even decades of keeping fish from salt to fresh water aquariums. Coral reefs and planted tanks, OBSERVATION AND RECORD KEEPING IS KEY ....... To look at ones pond or aquarium is so relaxing but to OBSERVE changes as they begin to show can lead to hours of relaxation instead of being stressed out due to a issue you hadn't observed as it began, and having to spend hours trying to resolve the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How in the world did I ever miss this fantastic build thread !? Spent an entire rainy afternoon reading it. Your pond looks so natural, like it's always been there ! We just finished our small bog and it need to have the liner hidden, rock work finished etc., but at least we got it finished before winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Tula
How in the world did I ever miss this fantastic build thread !? Spent an entire rainy afternoon reading it. Your pond looks so natural, like it's always been there ! We just finished our small bog and it need to have the liner hidden, rock work finished etc., but at least we got it finished before winter.
Thanks for the compliment, i tried a little of this a little of that trying to hide my liner. Wish i had the time to start all over again i enjoyed every minute of building and designing. very very happy with the way it is turning out. but little tweaks like building the bog up another two feet so i had a three foot water fall . i have a foot now and though it's sound is perfect close to the patio you can talk normally and not be drowned out by the sound of the falls . having the three foot drop about 70 feet from the patio would not be to much is sound and the look would be more in line with the finish product i am aiming for.

i have seen you and your hubby working on your bog and from what i have experienced you can't go wrong with the bog though i did both the shallow bog and the aqua blocks the water has been crystal clear ever since the bond balanced out. Good luck with yours im sure you will be happy with your efforts.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question