Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't even find clear primer any more. It's pathetic.
If you ever took pvc pipe and tried to remove a piece that was glued inside an elbow you would see it is not as strong as you may think. I have salvaged like tripple tee wye in the past and reused them. Was it 100% pretty no is it still together some 20 years later , yup. So skipping the step of not using primer imo is foolish. The inspectors started the purple primer bs years ago. My solution is a coat of spray paint. Ask anyone in a hot climate and full sun how there pvc pipe looks around the pool in as little as two years. It looks burnt. A quick coat of paint solves that issue. OK so I'm indoors and it's on the bottom of the honey do list.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't even find clear primer any more. It's pathetic.
If you ever took pvc pipe and tried to remove a piece that was glued inside an elbow you would see it is not as strong as you may think. I have salvaged like tripple tee wye in the past and reused them. Was it 100% pretty no is it still together some 20 years later , yup. So skipping the step of not using primer imo is foolish. The inspectors started the purple primer bs years ago. My solution is a coat of spray paint. Ask anyone in a hot climate and full sun how there pvc pipe looks around the pool in as little as two years. It looks burnt. A quick coat of paint solves that issue. OK so I'm indoors and it's on the bottom of the honey do list.
Well of course because I am lawyer my pipes are gold plated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Plumbing is getting complicated! Nice to have those options, though. I can still buy clear primer here in Washington—land of the free lol. Won't pass inspection, though. Inspectors wants to see purple spilled all over everything to know you used it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know tooo many inspectors in my day what's the saying those who can't teach? No offense to professional teachers .
I'm sure i could have come up with a can somewhere. But I know my work and if you have seen others work with purple primer mine doesn't look too bed though a plumber I do know the man is a machine and you'll see a perfect 1/8 inch line of exposed primer . I don't even begin to try to that degree for myself.
Like I said it will get painted one day.

@combatwombat hows ŝtring algae doing? this is winter 2 if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully it will be less this year and clear the next

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
24 hours ago when i first fired up the pond i was lucky if i could see 3 feet underwater . its a cross between the bog being idle a few months and the stream and upper pond after pulling and cleaning a lot of sediment from the algae scrubber.]

There are 5 fish on the rehome block . two have already been caught . Three baby koi two black one with cream and the other with a peach coloring on the fins and scales . and a ochiba thats dark moca and gin rin. and the gold fish i have a feeling i'll never be free of them. At least the babies give scale to the larger fish. 10 more coming this spring. for the breeding program. time to make the hobby pay for its self.

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Adding more filters, nice so what is the next add on for next spring? Elevated hydroponic system hidden in the back to grow your own vegetables. Looking good though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Adding more filters, nice so what is the next add on for next spring? Elevated hydroponic system hidden in the back to grow your own vegetables. Looking good though.
Not a big veggie lover... unfortunately if i do anything else in the future it will be another addition ...... I'm thinking of another 6,000 gallons , where it will turn behind the garage. That would really give the fish a LONGGGG swim from one end to the other.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Haha, I’m done with expanding my main pond. We’ll see with my turtle ponds those will probably be expanding, once I get these turtles to start laying eggs.

Also, had no little ones this year that I have noticed, so pygmy sunfish are doing their jobs unlike my gigantic catfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha, I’m done with expanding my main pond. We’ll see with my turtle ponds those will probably be expanding, once I get these turtles to start laying eggs.
Going to start a hatchery are you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was impressed with how healthy they looked the water was crystal and the plants were as healthy as i'd ever seen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@combatwombat hows ŝtring algae doing? this is winter 2 if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully it will be less this year and clear the next

A little better than it was a month ago, but still not great. I started adding wide-weave furnace filters to my intake area to catch junk that comes over the negative edge, but it clogs up so fast now with the string algae, I just took it out today and said forget it. It's impossible to backwash the filters, too. Maybe if I get out the pressure washer. Bought some course matala pads to see if that makes a difference.

I did end up adding some dye. The pond is in full sun, so planning to keep the water a little dark until plants wake up and I get more in. Maybe do some floaters later in Spring and discontinue the dye.

"Vegetables." :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you tried adding something like a branch from a local pond to the bog , drop a n other in the snorkel to seed the bog?

don't loose hope with no fish im not surprised the bacteria maybe taking a bit longer to get going.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you tried adding something like a branch from a local pond to the bog

No, but it wouldn't be hard to. I think I have plenty of beneficial bacteria, though, because we have 400 million frogs and regular duck visitors and the water always tests near perfect. Also, I used pond water and a few stones from the pond for the 20 gal hospital tank. Didn't change it for almost 2 weeks and never even got a trace amount of ammonia.

with no fish

EXCUSE ME, SIR! I have 8 full inches of lean, mean frog devouring machine. But really, though, how do I teach this fish to eat some frogs?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@combatwombat Catch a frog and gut it then toss it in, see if it goes for it. The fish gets a taste of it, it may realize what it is missing out on or might ignore it…..or get some type of bass they will take care of the frogs for sure. Personally, I’ve never had any of my fish bother with trying to eat frogs, even the large fish.

Ask a Question