Good Algae or not?

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I've noticed there seems to be some growth on the rocks in my pond. Is this string algae or the "good" algae? I've tried to get some of it off with a toilet bowl brush, but it doesn't really cling to it.
pond 023.JPG pond 010.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks like the carpet type algae that grows on the pond sides, good stuff String algae grows out in long strings, a foot or longer once it gets going. Like fine fibers when you grab a hand full.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep looks like the good stuff ,my fish love to suck on it and really helps keep the water clear

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
all algeas are actually good...they form and use nutrients in the water just as any plant does...our ponds and fish dont mind the alge...WE DO! you'll always have 'some'... but most algeas will subside as nutriennt loads are diminished. its just another way nature cleans things up!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep you want to keep that nice algae on the rocks and sides and bottom............very healthy stuff and hides your liner and looks more el naturel!

Reaction score
I had a really thick soft blanket of this stuff up until today, it just totally vanished overnight. What would cause that? Surely the fish didn't eat it all. Scratching my head over how fast it changed.

Reaction score
Could your pond have reached a "happy medium?" I am still w8ing for mine to do so....but I do believe the end may be in sight. By "happy medium" I mean just enough algae to suck up nutrients and not too much to take over the pond? I guess I really do not know the proper terminology, but someone on this forum linked to an interesting article.Sort of the dying algae keeping the newly forming algae in check? :question:

:goldfish:

Reaction score
I don't think I'm there yet because the water got cloudy again. It has a fine suspended algae in it making it much cloudier than yesterday. It's not horrible, but it is definitely a step backwards. I guess I'll see if it clears up and if it does I'll see if the blanket algae returns.

Reaction score
I noticed today, I could at least see a couple inches below the surface. That was unusual as it has been a totally green algae bloom. Even the water coming from the filter and spitting frog and fountain look clear...yesterday they were green. Of course, tomorrow we may be algae blooming again. ;) LOL I know the bullfrog and all the fish do not mind, but I was getting to think I would never see any clear water. This pond continues to keep me puzzled. :razz:

:goldfish:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine has not even had a good coating of side and bottom algae, waiting to see if this miserable heat gets some of the carpet algae to grow. Sure made the lilies bloom!

Reaction score
I'm like you addy maybe due to the weather in our area.

I really haven't been invaded with green algae... it's very minimum... The fish are also working on it quite a lot so maybe that's why ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well hope you are feeling better rivermist and when is the baby due and hope you post pics of the new bundle of joy and have a healthy happy baby

Reaction score
Hey sissy thx a lot for asking, starting to feel better 4 months and a half it was time !:)

Baby due for December.

And waiting for that i have pictures of the pond... haha starting to look nicer also, nice I have more energy to take care of it :)

Ask a Question