sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Christmas present baby and glad you are feeling better and yep just wait baby will taking up a lot of you time too .Busy hands and they will be full .

Reaction score
All green algae is good for fish whether it is in the form of green carpet or string one. Many fish would eat it as their second choice to regular food.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats the thing they would eat it but most feed there fish everyday or even worse yet a couple of times a day and that just adds to the problem .I feed mine only 2 or 3 times a week and let them find there own food in between .I also feed mine fresh fruit and veggies .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ok we are in a hot debate over this one issue. My girlfriend thinks that the water needs to be changed because of the green algae build up. I think it is just fine and we don't have to worry. So when do we need to worry about the green algae? I personally would like to see it stay there, but it is taking over the pond. Will the pH levels impact the growth of the algae?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it is the string stuff and you get a little too much just use a stick, your hand, brush and pull it out, comes out real easy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I you change out the water it will come back again and you will be starting over and end up in a worse spot than you are now .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the only ones getting upset over alge are us humans! the fish arent bothered by it at all!! alge serves a purpose, using excess nutrients in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Let's not forget that the algae also uses CO2 and converts it into O2 during the day. I have been reading up on fish farms lately. Many of them have ponds that are an acre or more. They can't move the water enough to keep it oxygenated so they let the ponds get very green with algae for the O2 they produce, and also because the algae provides nutrients for the fish so they grow faster. Some baby fancy goldfish can only be raised in water with very high concentrations of algae in order that they survive. Also as mentioned above the greenish algae laden water reduces stress. This is because they can hide from predators more easily. We are the only one the algae bothers. I feel like turning off my UV light right now!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Most types of algae that grows in ponds are good. But it is not entirely true that all algae is good, in low light conditions such as a fish tank in the house, blue or black algae can grow that is toxic. Not to worry though, I have never see this type of algae grow outside in a pond, only a fish tank. I have also read too that in the ocean there was problems in some areas with another type of toxic red algae caused by certain nutients or pollution :)

Ask a Question