addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I shut down my bog it stays full of water so the plants root are always wet. Even without snow cover the plants all come back. The plants in the pond are also under water for the winter.

The bog bean is a different critter, the runners are all above water, sort of just floating, they freeze up and come back in the spring. The roots are in water, but the runners are just floating.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When I shut down my bog it stays full of water so the plants root are always wet. Even without snow cover the plants all come back. The plants in the pond are also under water for the winter.

The bog bean is a different critter, the runners are all above water, sort of just floating, they freeze up and come back in the spring. The roots are in water, but the runners are just floating.

My bog stays nearly full of water, too. At least to the height where it stops running back into the pond. I'm not really sure why they died off, but the only difference this year is that this is the first winter where we had months without snow cover. I could see lack of insulation killing them off. Luckily my natives like Blue Flag Iris, Marsh Marigold, and Swamp Milkweed are still alive, so at least I have a few plants doing work for the time being.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe I have done natural selection, what has not made it through winter is gone and never replaced. I know this year we had almost no snow and many nights in the 15f range. I don't baby any plants, don't have the time or desire.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wonder if some of your plants are just slow - hosts in particular are pretty hardy.

That's what I thought at first, Until I found them dead and decomposing under the pea gravel. I had two hostas. One sat slightly above water level, is still alive and growing well. The other one was in about 1/4 inch water, dead. It did well the last two years, wasn't sure it would survive in that spot, but after two years I thought it would be ok.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That is weird! I have a couple of hostas growing next to my waterfall just in gravel - no dirt at all and in the blazing sun - and I never thought they would survive. They do great.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hoping to get out to Windy Oaks sometime next month. I'll have to see when they're open and if I can get out there when they are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In addition to my tropical lily plans, they had a marginal plant that I've never seen before and I can't stop thinking about. It looked similar to parrot's feather the way it grew, but the upward growing part was straighter and stiffer. I told my husband it was a type of parrots feather, but she corrected me - I just can't remember the name. I should have bought it then, but it was so hot that day and we had several other stops planned before home. I was afraid anything we bought would cook in the car!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In addition to my tropical lily plans, they had a marginal plant that I've never seen before and I can't stop thinking about. It looked similar to parrot's feather the way it grew, but the upward growing part was straighter and stiffer. I told my husband it was a type of parrots feather, but she corrected me - I just can't remember the name. I should have bought it then, but it was so hot that day and we had several other stops planned before home. I was afraid anything we bought would cook in the car!

Mare's tail?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
My mares tail is finally sending up new shoots in the bog, which pretty much, froze solid. The ones in pots on the ledge in my pond were also frozen solid and started growing under water as soon as the ice was melted.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
THAT'S IT! I kept saying horsetail, but I knew that wasn't it! Do you grow it?

No, but it's on my list of plants I want to eventually get. Can't own Parrots Feather here in WI (yes, they sell it, but I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to. not sure if they realize that or not), so Mares tail is the next best thing, and native to the state.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Really? We've bought it in WI - so shhhhhhh! Love that stuff! But I will be looking for some mare's tail, too!

I bought a beautiful pot of parrots feather last year - a one gallon pot for $12... a steal. I sunk it in the pond hoping it would come back this year. Sure enough, there was new growth on it a few weeks ago. I pulled it up closer to the surface this morning to get it into the warmer water... and my fish stripped it bare in less than an hour! They are hungry! I'm guessing it will come back, but it sure was looking good!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Really? We've bought it in WI - so shhhhhhh! Love that stuff! But I will be looking for some mare's tail, too!

Yeah, I found that out shortly after I added my old 400g pond. I wanted parrots feather for months, only to find out I couldn't have it. :cry: (http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Invasives/fact/ParrotFeather.html) When I saw it at Windy Oaks I was surprised. I wasn't sure if I should let them know, or maybe they already did knew and sold it anyway. I'd hate to not tell them and then see them get in trouble for it, but I'd also hate to tell them and seem like I'm calling them out for it, so I just didn't mention it.

Mare's tail looks like a fine substitute. I don't remember seeing it on their list of plants I have, but I'm fairly sure I remember seeing it there when I was there a couple years ago. I have a feeling Bogbean and Mare's tail is what I'll be walking out with this year. (y)

Ask a Question