Good in-pond skimmer

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
I hope it will reduce the amount of time I've had to clear my fountain nozzle. Now I'm assuming the intake on the surface isn't that big so come fall I'll still have to put a netting over the pond to keep the oak tree leaves and acorns out.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FM, my off-brand didn't come with a ton of instructions, but did say not to use below such & such temp. And 'cause it's on the surface would be more prone to cold related issues.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Another idea I've played with is to save up a little more and buy the skimmer 250 http://www.oase-livingwater.com/en_...]=4932&cHash=81a98439fea9b504dc4d017003146abf Hopefully next year I'll be able to start on the next pond which will be larger. My idea is to take the skimmer 250 and place it on the end of the pond right now facing the future pond and in the future pond I plan to build a stream coming from the same direction as the skimmer and this will give the illusion the ponds are connected water is flowing from one pond to the other. But that's probably more costly. I'm sure the 250 cost a pretty penny. I think I'll just stick to the Aquaskim.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oak leaves a very poisonous so you will have to make sure you remove them fast .My neighbor took down an oak tree because the leaves fell last year and her fish just suddenly died .They were fine before the leaves started dropping like flies .That was her first fall for her pond and I warned her and she forgot to get her brother over here to take it down .

FountainMan

Reaction score
oak leaves a very poisonous so you will have to make sure you remove them fast .My neighbor took down an oak tree because the leaves fell last year and her fish just suddenly died .They were fine before the leaves started dropping like flies .That was her first fall for her pond and I warned her and she forgot to get her brother over here to take it down .
A bit strange. Every year I have Oak leaves fall in my pond and the fish are okay. Is is a specific Oak species? Oak leaves have never caused problems in my pond except for the chore if removing them in spring. But this year I'll make sure to put netting over the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure I just knew it was an oak .Her brother took it to the mill and had them slab it and dry it and made tables out of it .I guess i never really bothered to think what kind of oak .She had netted her other pond but when she went bigger she never got a bigger net and fish were fine before that and when she realized the strong wind we had made the leaves all fall and blow into her pond she tried netting them out .Hard to get them all and water turned almost chocolate brown from the ones on the bottom and fish died

FountainMan

Reaction score
Not sure I just knew it was an oak .Her brother took it to the mill and had them slab it and dry it and made tables out of it .I guess i never really bothered to think what kind of oak .She had netted her other pond but when she went bigger she never got a bigger net and fish were fine before that and when she realized the strong wind we had made the leaves all fall and blow into her pond she tried netting them out .Hard to get them all and water turned almost chocolate brown from the ones on the bottom and fish died
The only thing I can think of is the decaying leaves throw the chemical balence of the water off. I know the leaves acidify the water and rapid ph fluctuations can cause stress and in many cases death to aquatic life. Maybe the leaves overwhelmed the ponds natural processes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We thought we got almost all of them but then some one on here had said oak leaves were the worse ones to get in a pond .We even tried over filtering it with all the hoses going in quilt batting and sat there for hours watching and cleaning .I did try moving a few of them indoors to her bath tub as she has well water and we thought that may help the ones we could catch .We couldn't use the water from her pond so we borrowed some from my pond .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FYI: I was looking at in-pond skimmers just now on YOUTUBE and decided to GOOGLE the AQUASKIM & SWIMSKIM. The first result that showed up was an OASE - USA site! The date at the bottom is 2012. First time to catch this, so wonder if it's NEW new. Compared to some of the UK sites, this one had limited products available, but hey, it's a start :)

http://store.oase-usa.com/#

Ask a Question