Good in-pond skimmer

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
For years I have built my own skimmers because of the scarcity in stores and my relativly shallow pond. But as the water level changes the skimmers surface and take on air. So I'm intrested on buying a floating skimmer. One item I'm looking at is a Koolscape floating pond skimmer which is like what I'm looking for. It has good reviews and at a good price. But one thing that deters me if the company doesn't seem to have a web site. That makes me a bit warey. Reviews are good so that makes me happy. My pond is only 18" deep (would like deeper but my dad wanted it shallower.) Anyway I'm posting because I want tips and advice. Needs to be an inpond skimmer as there is absolutly no way to install a side skimmer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
FountainMan,
I installed this skimmer OASE SwimSkim Floating Pond Skimmer. It has worked very well for me. I clean it about every other day. It takes about 60 seconds to clean it. I did not want to cut my liner, this is the reason I went this route.
I really liked this skimmer over the other type like it because it also oxygenates at the same time. It pumps 580 GPH. It did an amazing job for me. I paid 99.00 for mine. Here are are few pic's of it in my pond.
icewaterdon

Attachments

• Picture 349.jpg
    Picture 349.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,095
  • Picture 337.jpg
    Picture 337.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,147
  • Picture 331.jpg
    Picture 331.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • Picture 334.jpg
    Picture 334.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 917

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FM, I have the Koolscape. Got if from AMAZON for around $89.00. If you read all the available reviews, you read where people said it pops up a lot. I does. To counter that, people said they either tied rocks to it or put rocks in the basket. I tried that -- kept it from popping up, but also kept it below the water's surface. It was still sucking stuff in, but wasn't "skimming."

Well, I studied the thing [no really, spent lots of time leaning over the rocks, watching it, trying to figure out "what made it tick"] and decided that what the problem was had nothing to with keeping the skimmer in the water, but everything to do with having the "float ring-thingy" do what it was supposed to do. It was designed to FLOAT [duh!] with the water fluctuations [by fluctuations, I mean waves and other water movement] and be somewhat independent of the skimmer and basket. It wasn't doing that. After some trial & error, I found some craft foam sheets that I cut into a "ring" to fit up inside the float part [craft foam comes in several thicknesses]. There are 4 small holes in the plastic -- not sure what they are for, but used a hole puch and made matching holes in the foam ring. IT NOW WORKS PERFECTLY! Well, not as good as a real skimmer, but it keeps the surface crud controlled.

Another thing I experimented with: the hole where the water goes down via the little pump motor. The filter pad that comes with it is about useless. It and about everything else I tried just got sucked down, restricting the flow. I ended up cutting 2 disks of plastic craft canvas and wrapping some fabric netting over those. The netting catches the crud, but the plastic canvas keeps it elevated enough that there is pretty much unrestricted flow.

If I had it to do all over again, I think I'd go with the OASE skimmer, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had read some of the same things about the Koolscape popping out of the water. I have never had that happen with the Oase. So far, I am very satisfied with its performance. I have not changed the sponge that comes with it. It seems to gather a lot of stuff. I guess it is not broken, don't find it.
I find the fish swim under the air a lot.
When I first installed it, the fish hide for about 2 days. It really spooked them. But they that is not an issue now.

FountainMan

Reaction score
You guys do know Oase boycotted America 3 years ago right? It would take luck trying to find any of their products.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When I talked to them on the phone (pondusa) they told me that they were bringing them back into the USA.

FountainMan

Reaction score
When I talked to them on the phone (pondusa) they told me that they were bringing them back into the USA.
If that's true than I'm the happiest person on earth. I love their product. My first real fountain was their pond jet. So I will look at the Aquaskim and maybe I'll buy.

FountainMan

Reaction score
So I have a question. I first heard of the boycotte from a lake fountain installer. Now I'm not sure if Oase just cut the sales of lake products and left water garden products or if they finally figured figured out with America as one of their biggest markets a boycott was hurting the company. A million reasons. But with little info I'm trying tio figure this out. I love Oase products.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Okay my wish list,

1 Aquaskim 25 floating skimmer
2 FiltoClear 1600 pressurized bio filter
3 shrubery to hid the filter but not so dense to where the filter is inaccessable

The FiltoClear doesn't appear to use the bio balls structures for good bacteria to grow on. I assume the foam sponge rings are where the bacteria is suppost to colonize? It has a backflush feature which I like. Don't want to dismantle the filter for cleaning especially in a small space. The Oase is well priced compaired to competing units. I like the Oase quality as with all German products.

Requires 1600 GPH which is what I estimate to be flowing through the line I plan to integrate this into.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I talked with a PONDUSA rep. a month or so ago [parts were missing from an OASE product I'd ordered and they were trying to track down those parts to send me -- they did, and it all worked out in the end], and we briefly discussed the OASE issue. He was saying that he'd heard they were considering returning to the US market, but not sure how they were going to go about it. He talked highly of the quality & variety of their products and was hoping the "talk" was true. I know that from doing web searches, they do have products that the other companies don't have. One that we recently ordered several of [the above-mentioned] is the OASE Y-DISTRIBUTOR. It's a "Y" connector with valves. Very sturdy and serves its purpose without having to have multiple hoses, ball valves, etc. You have to search for a retailer, but there are still some who carry OASE products.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hope they do because i would like one and wonder if a skimmer would help with all those fine roots the fish tear off the plants that clog up the pump .I finally put all my plant pots in loose screening baskets i made and keeping my fingers crossed .Koi are such destroyers

FountainMan

Reaction score
I'm getting excited about the AquaSkim. Only 99$ is an awesome price. And Pond USA is within reasonable weekend drive distance. Or if I have it shipped shipping won't be as expensive. On the web site it said it ships from Oklahoma. Looks like I'll have an AquaSkim soon. And it also aerates with an air injector. I like that.

Now one question I have is usage durring winter. Usually I may leave my fountains in pond durring winter and never really experienced damage. Of course here in Texas we don't have hard freezes. Usually 3 inches of ice. However this year's weather patterns indicate a cold icy winter. Having a nice winter this year and a not too bad summer which is a weather pattern I've seen before that resulted in an ice bomb. So should I remove the skimmer?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hope they do because i would like one and wonder if a skimmer would help with all those fine roots the fish tear off the plants that clog up the pump .I finally put all my plant pots in loose screening baskets i made and keeping my fingers crossed .Koi are such destroyers

Probably would do great with little root pieces. My off-brand does better with that type stuff than it does with leaves - not enough power. But keeps the fine surface crud controlled. Wonder if Santa would bring an OASE skimmer...?

Ask a Question