addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I mowed yesterday, in our front but side yard, side to the house, the skunks dug a hole. Right near a tree that I circle to cut the grass. Seeing the hole, I stopped and watched. Out come the yellow jackets, tons of them. Around the nest were pieces of comb that the brood was in. If the skunk had not dug it up I could have been in trouble, mostly likely would have been in trouble as those stinging suckers swarmed out to get me.

We need to get some wasp spray.
IMG_1782.JPG

The comb the skunk dug up
IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

You can see all of the tunnels they have made
IMG_1795.JPG

The red points to a piece of comb under the dirt and tunnels they are crawling out of.
IMG_1793_LI.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I thought bees were stripped and wasps were black! I feel so ignorant!:rolleyes:

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
And, I think Yellow Jackets have the most painful sting of all the bees I've ever been stung by. Accidentally hit a nest a few years back with my weed whacker in some tall grass. Got about 6 stings before I got way.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can ignore bee stings, yellow jackets hurt for days. The last sting I had from one stayed red and painful for around 2 months.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought bees were stripped and wasps were black! I feel so ignorant!:rolleyes:

Bees! They are striped but not like yellow jackets, Have fuzz on their bodies. Plump That is the queen in the center.
bee.JPG

yellow jackets very distinct stripes, skinny
IMG_1791.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
hmmmm, I didn't realize that about skunks. OK. I'll be more tolerant of skunks. However, when I leave early in the morning to walk the dog before the sun is up and I smell skunk, I am praying that we don't get sprayed!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Skunks can be hard on bee hives. They come at night and scratch the hive to bring the guard bees out then they eat them. We have our hives up high enough the skunks need to stand up to reach the opening, that exposes their tender belly. So far the skunks have left our hives alone.

A interesting thing I have noticed. Rabbits eat dead bees! They are out there in the am cleaning up the dead bees in front of the hives. The same with the opossums, love the dead ones.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We get skunks around here and I don't mind them unless they come near the house .Had a nest under my front porch and had to deter her so she would not keep coming back each year to have her babies .I get those bees here and boy can they be nasty devils

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I usually try to knock down any yellow jacket nests that they are just starting to build. So far that keeps their numbers down around here. Once in a great while I get one that attacks me. Not a fun thing but at least I am not allergic!

Good skunks saving you @addy1 from getting the bites! I've never seen a skunk around here ever. They are pretty little critters but w/the stink bombs not bbq party friendly :sick:

Ask a Question