Growing tail?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think what has happened here Alp is that that part of the fin has broken away and what your seeing it the new piece growing bach again my friend as such as long as the straight edge on that break steers clear of infection things will grow back to as before @Priscilla had ths happen last year if I recall as it was me that answered her call for help

Dave

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I think Dave is correct, it appears a chunk of tail broke off and what your seeing is the tail healing and re-growing. This is not uncommon at all. From what I can see in the pic everything looks to be growing in as expected and I really don't see any infection issues. It may take 6 months to a year to completely fill in but I think it will return to a natural look over time.

Reaction score
I just sent you a message. My goldfish had a large portion of his tail break off. It grew back all by itself. No issues at all. Since it grew back, the same portion broke off again, but grew back on its own.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you fishin and Priscilla for you speedy replies. I have definately learnt from this experience once again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Alp still waiting for your message but wont be able to add anymore as it was our advice to Priscilla on her fin problem thus the advice Priscilla is giving you.
One thing I will add though is this break like Priscillas may go again depending on how things heal

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Dave so sorry not to keep you'll updated. Checked back with the koi shop that I bought my fish from. The expert over there told me its common that sometimes on top of the original tail fin a smaller fun will grow, which is what happen to me. So it's not that the tail broke of but more due to an extra growth like a deformity. So anyway what she told me to do is simply get my koi into a bowl and add a drug which sedates the fish. Then with a sharp seterilsed scissors snip of the growth. This will not harm the fish, but there is no problem with just leaving the growth as it is. So I am just going to leave it. Thank you for all the help.

Ask a Question