healthy fish ???.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted thread in the disease/ health section, asking about one of my fish with these two lumps on the back. jaimeb kindly replied and i have printed his answer about parameters,and about the lumps thankyou. I am simply curious about lumps. Fish is not suffering at all. when times are right, comes to surface like rest to feed. If anyone can also offer some advice, i will look forward to reading them. Thankyou. Blue. IMG_0442.PNGIMG_0448.PNG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not saying it is, but could be carp pox. Lesions (AKA, bumps or lumps) can appear different on each fish. Could be a tumor. Can’t really tell too much from a picture, therefore hard to give advice. If I didn’t know better, it reminds me of a wen on some fancy GF (a normal part of their anatomy). Looks symmetrical. Most diseases aren’t symmetrical, not even carp pox.

Why not go over to KOIPHEN.com and see if they can help you. They have an entire topic dedicated to diseases and illness with trained and experienced members. At least their guesses might be more enlightened than ours.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not saying it is, but could be carp pox. Lesions (AKA, bumps or lumps) can appear different on each fish. Could be a tumor. Can’t really tell too much from a picture, therefore hard to give advice. If I didn’t know better, it reminds me of a wen on some fancy GF (a normal part of their anatomy). Looks symmetrical. Most diseases aren’t symmetrical, not even carp pox.

Why not go over to KOIPHEN.com and see if they can help you. They have an entire topic dedicated to diseases and illness with trained and experienced members. At least their guesses might be more enlightened than ours.
I tried koiphen.com but want genuine person name to fill in section. i don,t know anyone!!!. thanks for reply Mmathis. Blue.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried koiphen.com but want genuine person name to fill in section. i don,t know anyone!!!. thanks for reply Mmathis. Blue.
Not sure I understand what you mean....if you could explain what you mean by wanting a “genuine person name to fill in section,” maybe we can help....? You don’t have to know anyone, and most people use screen names.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, you have your second vote that it looks like a fancy got mixed in the genetics!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for your replys. JamieB, You could be right. In answer to Mmathis Q, I am not sure!!!. I am referring to "koiphen.com", which was suggested by a member. There is nothing wrong with that. To do with health of one of my fish. I tried to register, one of the Q,s was do i know any members of their forum. No i do not. Quite why they wood ask that Q, is beyond me!! Maybe to do with sponsoring!!!. What i do know, is i am not pursuing that line of enquiry again!!!. I will stick with Garden pond forums, of which i am very happy with, Members,replys, + information etc,etc. P.S. Untill anyone answers that section you cannot go any further with the registration!!. This new pond i have yet to assemble is 336litres, 74 Gallons. Apart from measuring every fish, is their a simple way to guage how many fish i can put in pond. My other is 480litres, 105 gallons has 9 differnt sizes of goldfish. thankyou, Blue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The rule of thumb I learned and find works in my set up I had, was that 1) start by way understocking your pond. 2) each common type goldfish will require around 60 gallons of water with normal filtration, well maintained. Things like bog filters would decrease how many gallons needed, other good biological filters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That must be a new rule there @Blue - I'm registered on Koiphen and don't know a single soul there... other than the folks that post here!

But I think I agree - that looks very much like the head of a fancy goldfish! I'd leave it alone (which by the way, is often the best approach to many things in life!) and see what transpires. If it stays the same, you'll know it's either normal or harmless.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I am a member but I went on the site and did not sign in. I could search for things like you are looking for but to post you need to be a member. So just go there and search and you will find info from others posts if you don't want to join. Or if you want to become a member just tell them you are a friend of j.w :happy:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Blue Did you at least look at the link I posted above? That might help you, but you might also want to do an internet search for “carp pox” and “goldfish tumors.” Not only are there lots of different sources, but by looking at multiple pictures you might see something that more closely resembles what your fish has. And, as @j.w said, you can still search KOIPHEN.COM (internet site, not FaceBook) without joining as a member.

Do you have any young koi in with your goldfish, or do you have any “fancy” goldfish?

If the fish seems to be acting normal, is eating, not getting worse, and none of the other fish are showing any problems, it might not be anything to worry about. Sometimes it’s a case of observation.

Ask a Question