Heat wave in CA

Reaction score
Our koi pond is at least 75 degrees! I'm wondering what is too hot and what would I do?
IMG_0722.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
patio umbrella and colleen in Canada said you can use a little ice to cool it down .I am guessing you are taking top water temp and not deeper water temp .How deep is your pond and what kind of fish and how big are fish and pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our koi pond is at least 75 degrees! I'm wondering what is too hot and what would I do?
View attachment 86005
Actually, 75 degrees doesn't sound that bad. Is that what you meant to say? But if you're concerned, or your fish are showing signs of distress, maybe find a way to provide shade. Our pond was in the 90's a couple months ago, and we put up 2 sun sail shades, and that has worked. Also, be sure you have adequate aeration.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
75 degrees Fahrenheit is not extreme for Koi. The scientific community is in agreement that between 61F and 82F is ideal for feeding and growth and that 79F is the ideal temperature for the hatchability of Koi eggs.It has also been shown that Koi exhibit a fairly stable respiration rate (a stress indicator) between 68F and 93F. I have personally had Koi experience water temps of 90F for several hours each day for over a week with no apparent ill effects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
75c equates to around about 75f, if your worried get a ahade for the pond also if you have a fountain make sure its on as this has the effect of cooling the air above the pond.
You could buy a parasol or shade sail or even make one , white refects heat so dont go for black
But koi are quite capable of handling these temperatures

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nope. But I might get one.
The floating ones are pretty cheap -- but be sure it's for ponds with and easy-to-read scale. I have a pond one, but needed an extra one 2 summers ago, so asked Hubby to pick one up. He got a cute little duck, that was actually a pool thermometer. Probably no real difference except, 1) the scale is tiny and hard to read, and 2) the way it's encased, water -- and algae -- got up inside where the numbers were and you couldn't read them (forget the tiny numbers, LOL!).

Ask a Question