Hello everyone

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You must have a very good filtration system.

That's another major difference in a garden pond vs a DKP - the DKP relies exclusively on external filtration. Well, that and the biofilm that develops on the surfaces of the pond, but the fish load in a DKP tends to be heavy as well, so excellent filtration is a must.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
@Panzer13 Dave just described for you the difference between a garden pond and a dedicated koi pond. As he said, some of us love our ponds to grow plants and fish while others are only interested in the koi. At 200 gallons, you definitely have a garden pond!

Since your pond is small, you may want to focus on plants that stay small. For example, there are a number of dwarf varieties of water lily that would do fine in a smaller pond. I have a small patio pond that I drop a dwarf variety lily every year and it does great. There are small varieties of many other types of plants as well - just do a search for "dwarf pond plants" and pay attention to the size the plant can attain. You can also plant things outside the edges of pond that will grow over the sides and hide the edges - things like creeping jenny or vinca. Lots of possibilities! Post some pictures and we can make more suggestions!

Good advice thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-3-29_9-36-28.gif
@Panzer13 We are neighbors, well sort of anyways. I'm way up north of you. Water lilies will grow well in our climate. They do need some sunshine and more is better. Parrots feather grows well in Summer but I have had trouble w/it coming back each year for some reason. Some comes back and some dies. Can't understand that cuz others here who live in much colder climates have it come back a bunch every year. I have the Creeping Jenny along my pond edge and it likes to creep into the water and everywhere else so it kind of has to be contained if you don't want it to wander. Water Hawthorne did well for years and sent out all kinds of babies. I should have grabbed up those babies and potted them up cuz now the plant is gone. You can plant a little Sedge plant in a pot but better get a small one for your pond if you do. Anacharis is good also for an underwater oxygenater. There are more also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Nice to have someone in the same area as me, I appreciate your wisdom.
I think I will use creeping jenny in a planter next to the pond. It should be good for hiding a pump hose.
I ordered a hardy dwarf lily and it should arrive soon. I was thinking of starting it inside were it is warmer. Or do you think it would be safe to put in the pond?
Also tried to order Anacharis from Amazon, but they say it is considered invasive in our area and won't ship it? This is odd as I have what looks like Anacharis growing in local streams? Maybe I should find another seller or just harvest some from a local stream.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I ordered a hardy dwarf lily and it should arrive soon. I was thinking of starting it inside were it is warmer. Or do you think it would be safe to put in the pond?

It's hardy - it can go right in the pond. The only thing you don't want to let it do is freeze solid. It can stay in the pond when the water gets cold (which yours won't get anywhere near what WE call cold!) as long as it's below the ice... which you probably also won't get much of!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
It's hardy - it can go right in the pond. The only thing you don't want to let it do is freeze solid. It can stay in the pond when the water gets cold (which yours won't get anywhere near what WE call cold!) as long as it's below the ice... which you probably also won't get much of!
The water is about 45 degrees now. We may get a cold snap that brings a morning frost but that is about all. I didn't even get much ice when it was 20 degrees out. I kept one of my pumps running.
Thanks Lisak1.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The water is about 45 degrees now. We may get a cold snap that brings a morning frost but that is about all. I didn't even get much ice when it was 20 degrees out. I kept one of my pumps running.

Yup - put that beauty right in the pond and watch the magic happen!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I truck to save plants, from cold or from fish eating all of it, is an aquarium. A plastic tote would work just as well. Last summer I had a tank out side the pond for my duck week, some parrots feather, and a few other plants. Ended up with a frog in there too! But as the plants multiply, I toss some in to the fish. For winter, I set up an aquarium inside, so I already have duck weed for my fish. They love it!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
you can safely put out hardy water lily's and hardy plants but wait on the tropical floaters like water lettuce.

My water lily had new pads that were almost touching the surface of the water until winter came back and that pond froze and now has ice again.... :mad:

That plant will be ok but those new water lily pads might have froze and plant may have to grow new ones again...

Ask a Question