Help a lady out?

Reaction score
I recently moved into a house that came with a severely neglected goldfish pond and I could use some help getting it into better shape. I believe the pond was installed a little over four years ago, and I suspect that was the last time it was given any maintenance before we came along. When we turned on the power to the pump just to check it out, we discovered it was broken, and when I opened up the filter, I discovered about 25 pounds of mud caked in it. I have cleaned over an inch worth of rotting leaves from the bottom of the pond and removed six long dead frogs and one more recently departed fish. The dimensions are about 11 X 5', around 15" deep, and there are somewhere around 16 fish in there, of varying sizes. I bought a Smart Pond floating UV filter and since starting it the water has gotten about 100% clearer. For a while there I could barely see the fish through all the murk. I have purchased a net to keep the leaves and debris out next fall, and equipment so that I can do a water change once I know what to do, but beyond that I'm not sure what to do.

I tested the water with PondCare test kits (drops) and to my surprise, both the nitrites and ammonia came up negative. The pH was a 9. Is that too high? If so, what steps should I take to correct it?

I really need some practical guidance here, if anyone is willing to give it. The obstacles I'm up against are that I have a fifteen month old baby who occupies most of my time, and along with the pond, the rest of the house is in dire need of maintenance, so my budget is limited. I spoke with a landscaper who recommended a total rebuild of the pond, but wouldn't that be pretty hard on the fish? Would they have to wait somewhere while the pond reestablishes itself? I have done a small amount of research which has led me to the realization that I don't know enough about this to do it without help.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
in_and_out_2.gif
to our group!

I would not do a rebuild by what you are saying. The thing that would help the best is get some filtration going. Get a pump to get some good circulation going and keep cleaning out any other debris left in the pond. (the landscaper would recommend that esp if he is the one doing the work lol)

If it is not leaking, you like the size, don't rebuild, get it running down the road you could change it out if you want to.

What kind of filter does the pond have? if you can tell.

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome and the advice about not rebuilding!

The only filter currently running in the pond is the Smart Pond "Floating UV Filter With Pump" that I bought. I have limited filter shopping options here and am at a loss as to what to get in addition to that that is affordable. Advice welcome.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check out the diy section you can build filters out of barrels, totes, trash cans, throw in some filter media, (lava rock, pool floaties, plastick toys, etc) and you have a filter.
Or get a nice tote, or some container, run some pipes from the pump, pump water in and through plants, pea gravel and you have a nice bog/plant filter. A lot of people here will log in and help you out. I use just a huge bog to filter my pond, pea gravel and plants.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I spoke with a landscaper who recommended a total rebuild of the pond

It kind of makes me mad that the landscaper would even suggest that because it definitely sounds like the pond is actually pretty good and at this point needs a filter. I, myself, am planning to make a bog filter this Spring and its something you could consider. If you still have more muck and debris in the pond I would suggest getting it out. A few leaves wont hurt but if its loaded its best to clean it.

I've read a billion times that three of the most important things anyone needs to have a nice pond is an appropriate sized pump, a filter, and plants. I'd probably suggest also changing some of the water, maybe half, but thats just a personal suggestion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
9ph is pretty Alkaline, but Fish should still survive in it ok. I would get a Pump First, even before a filter since it would be no good without a Pump. Can you post any pictures of your Pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome. I too wouldn't rebuild, you've got enough of a learning curve with your current pond. If you could get some de chlorinator , I'd do a partial water change. I'd purchase a pump and look into a DIY filter. We love pictures!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes, everyone! I've lurked here for about a week trying to glean as much as I could before I posted and I appreciate the help I've gotten from you all.

9ph is pretty Alkaline, but Fish should still survive in it ok. I would get a Pump First, even before a filter since it would be no good without a Pump. Can you post any pictures of your Pond?
I do have a pump that is built into my UV filter (I guess it's technically a clarifier, but they call it a filter), which pumps 250gph. I thought this was sufficient since my pond is just over 500 gallons - is it not?

I have some dechlorinator already and was planning to do a water change if the weather is dry enough this weekend. I will look into the DIY filters, thank you all for pointing me in the right direction.

I will try to get a photo of the pond as soon as I have the right combo of sleeping baby and good weather!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do have a pump that is built into my UV filter which pumps 250gph. I thought this was sufficient since my pond is just over 500 gallons - is it not?

With what I've seen and read, if you have a 500g pond, you'll probably need at least a 500gph pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are on the right track and you will get good advice here. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for all the welcomes, everyone! I've lurked here for about a week trying to glean as much as I could before I posted and I appreciate the help I've gotten from you all.

I do have a pump that is built into my UV filter (I guess it's technically a clarifier, but they call it a filter), which pumps 250gph. I thought this was sufficient since my pond is just over 500 gallons - is it not?

I have some dechlorinator already and was planning to do a water change if the weather is dry enough this weekend. I will look into the DIY filters, thank you all for pointing me in the right direction.

I will try to get a photo of the pond as soon as I have the right combo of sleeping baby and good weather!
The rule of "Half The Pond Volume Flow Per Hour" I would argue only stands true if your pond is 1,000 Gallons or more. The smaller the body of water, the more circulation it needs, the more aeration it needs, etc. If you had a 4,000 Gallon Pond, then a 2,000GPH pump would be fine, for you I would say at least 500gph size pump is the way to go. My pond is the same size as yours at 500 Gallons and I run 950gph and 650gph pumps 24/7 because that is what I was taught on here and what has worked for me since. I would say your 250gph UV clarifier is fine, just add another 250gph stand-alone pump to the pond, maybe with a Spitter to help aerate more, Plus it's always good to have 2 pumps in case one goes out! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
asheville Nc I think .Get a tote for now a tank adapter .I bought a laguna pump 2900 gph off webbs on ebay .You can buy an aerator as that will help .

Attachments

• pond  and tank adapter 030.JPG
    pond and tank adapter 030.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 192
  • pond parts 014.JPG
    pond parts 014.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 159
  • pond parts 002.JPG
    pond parts 002.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 221
  • pond parts 015.JPG
    pond parts 015.JPG