sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pressure filters need more work to clean them and you will need to back flush them a lot .I prefer a self built one.They are known to crack and also the seal seems to be a problem .There are lots of bad reviews for them

Reaction score
Thing is that gph is cut down by length and height of the hose .I have the turbo twist one on a small pump .The twist keeps the water in contact with the uv bulb longer .Always get extra bulbs also .I buy mine on cll pets on ebay .Take your plant out and put them in a tub of water with miracle grow and once they take off put them back in your pond .Stagnant water and not enough aeration can cause plants not to grow .I have seen that in water lettuce and hyacinth .I now have a laguna aerator and gave my others away because they are to small for the new pond I built .I paid 130 dollars at wayfair on ebay 12 port outlet
pressure filters need more work to clean them and you will need to back flush them a lot .I prefer a self built one.They are known to crack and also the seal seems to be a problem .There are lots of bad reviews for them

Thank you all!! So anyone have any suggestions on a UV light? From what I've read I would probably need the smaller one 13w I think.. and the flow has to be slow enough to work.. What about a pump UV light combo?
Would just the light be better?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have them at lowes hope this helps You have one pump so this would add extra air to the pond

Attachments

• 100_6698.JPG
    100_6698.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 100_6699.JPG
    100_6699.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 284
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I say do nothing.

I had a real green pond and was running the filter and waterfall 24/7. 3 days later it's starting to clear up with a cleaning of the filter. Just need the pond to mature.

Reaction score
I say do nothing.

I had a real green pond and was running the filter and waterfall 24/7. 3 days later it's starting to clear up with a cleaning of the filter. Just need the pond to mature.

I agree that doing nothing is the way to go..... but...... I built this pond last summer... its been almost a year and its not doing what its suppose to do.. I'm getting impatient.. :)

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree that doing nothing is the way to go..... but...... I built this pond last summer... its been almost a year and its not doing what its suppose to do.. I'm getting impatient.. :)
It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do......mature.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love your pond... very much similar to mine.... I've tried plants and they look like they just suffer.. I currently have iris that didn't bloom this year. Floating water plants just barely thrive. I have two more small plants.. one is a camelion I think.. they other is suppose to be a big leafy plant but as soon as it puts out a new leaf the older one wilts and dies... I had a lilly but it never grew leaves to the top of the surface. I do want to get some submersible plants tho..
I have had awesome luck with hyacinths and a UV light

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They come in other sizes but I happened to take a pic of that one for another person on this forum

Reaction score
Got a test kit...
results.. PH 7.5
amonia 0
phosphate 0
nitrite 0

I added a pump with uv light..(9 w ) has been running 2 days.. I see very little if any difference.. What's next?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it takes a week or more to see a difference .But you should see a little improvement every day .It does not happen in a day or 2 .Only quick fix can cause death to your fish .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
put them in a tub of miracle grow and water to give them a good start before putting them in the pond .I leave mine in it for a week or 2

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Lillyspad don't get discouraged. I didn't get around to adding the hornwort or the water hyacinths this year and my water started to turn green. On June 1st I finally added 8 sad little water hyacinths (all the store had). Here is a picture of the pond on June 8 and then today, June 11. I couldn't get exactly the same angle of the pond due to the light reflections, but I think you can see that the water is starting to clear a little. I can actually make out the bottom which is 34" deep. Once your pond and plants start to get established, your water will clear too.

Comparison 2016 June 8 and June 11.jpg

Ask a Question