Help on my outdoor pond. Fish are dying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The one and only time I did a 100% water change and scrubbed out my pond, all my fish died.

It is the combination of chlorines, the change in the chemical make-up of the water, and the removal of all of the bacteria and algae on the sides and bottom.

I do 20% water changes on a weekly basis.

You don't need fancy chemicals to get rid of chlorine - you can use commonly available and cheap powdered ascorbic acid (vitamin C). It will remove chlorine almost instantly, and won't change the PH or hurt the fish.

And less is more, when it comes to fish. They out out a lot of ammonia.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most of us use a pool skimmer net to scoop the crud off the bottom of the pond. That way you don’t have to remove the water. When you scrub out all the stuff growing on the sides, you are removing a valuable part of the pond’s ecosystem. One thing that people don’t often consider is that as your fish grow, they produce more ammonia and waste. So, where a pond might go years without a problem, adding new fish (even if they are born in the pond) and just the normal growth of the current fish can be enough to tip things over the edge.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I have def learned my lesson. Never scrub my pond liner again. This was the first time I tried to really clean it and get most of the algae off and I will never to that again..

Reaction score
Country
United States
My last 2 seem to be ok. They are still swimming where the other started getting lethargic and stopped swimming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello. Very sorry this happened to you and your fish. I think I remember hearing that this company uses agave plant to make some of their sponges. This was in an effort to be environmentally friendly. Agave is very poisonous and can kill fish. You can call them and confirm. You can also google Agave and fish death. I hope this helps.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello. Very sorry this happened to you and your fish. I think I remember hearing that this company uses agave plant to make some of their sponges. This was in an effort to be environmentally friendly. Agave is very poisonous and can kill fish. You can call them and confirm. You can also google Agave and fish death. I hope this helps.
I don’t recall that she said anything about agave..... Have I missed something?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No. Scotch brand sponges I have heard can have Agave fibers in the so that they are made environmentally friendly. Agave plants can poison fish as they will be toxic for them. Calling the company to confirm would be the best thing for her to do so she can find out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Wow! I wonder if that is the answer? Seems like it might be, especially if the packaging says "not for aquarium use" but has no cleaning agents added to the pad. You might have solved the mystery!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it a mixture of using the scrubber to clean the pond on top of cleaning all th good bacteria that normally eat away the chlorine in the water. Cause I have never treated my pond. So it’s a double whammy with the scrubber and chlorine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been keeping fish for many years more years then I care to think about. And a Full water change I would say is the first issue to look at. If you have city water it would matter not if it was the purest water on the planet you have chlorine or chloramine or some other form of keeping bacteria from growing in the water.
Do you reintroduce the fish the same day after you refill your pond? or do you wait 24 hours?
I'd imagine you acclimate the fish slowly when you reintroduce them back to the pond? i'd add some water slowly to the hoding tank
Do you check the temp? ph?
and as shawn stated unfortunately your cleaning pad specifically says not for aquarium use. The best lessens are always the mistakes some more painful then others. one lesson I learned long ago was never keep all your fish in one barrel that would hold true for a water change as well. that way if there was an issue hopefully it would happen to the entire population

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
cleaning all th good bacteria that normally eat away the chlorine in the water

Bacteria won't eat chlorine. The chlorine will dissipate over time. I honestly think you've either been really lucky these last two years, or maybe your water supply didn't have a lot of chlorine and somehow it spiked this time. Putting fish in untreated municipal water is always a risk.

What a bummer for you. But as we know better we do better, right? Water changes are unnecessary in a well balanced pond. And scrubbing a pond, as you have learned, does way more harm than good. Get your pond balanced and leave it alone - less work, more enjoyment!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it a mixture of using the scrubber to clean the pond on top of cleaning all th good bacteria that normally eat away the chlorine in the water. Cause I have never treated my pond. So it’s a double whammy with the scrubber and chlorine.
The good bacteria don’t eat the chlorine. They eat the ammonia and nitrites.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The good bacteria don’t eat the chlorine. They eat the ammonia and nitrites.

The good bacteria don't eat the chlorine but the chlorine does react with and kill the good bacteria and any other available organic matter. In the process of reacting with organic matter the chlorine gets used up. Chlorine also reacts with inorganic compounds such as ammonia and gets used up in the process. It also dissipates into the air.

As stated in a previous post Vitamin C will quickly react with chlorine or chloramine. I have excess lemons so I use them instead of the granular stuff because it is free for me. I have a tub with lemon(s) in it and use that water when I want treated water for my various frog ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
for a 300 gallon pond I would have a second container that could hold 300 gallon if if I wanted a sterile pond clean more like a fish tank and age the water before you do your maintenance.
But at only 300 gallons I don't know if you can call it a pond I believe you are correct with some maintenance trying to remove heavy sludge. And doing some water changes certainly can be beneficial . but I think I would lean toward a vacuum either gravity fed or but a small battery operated one.

Ask a Question