addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pick up some shubunkins, very colorful , they call the poor mans koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember they will have babies .i prefer fat fantails they have nice color and don't really breed much and that butt wiggle is just the cutest thing ever .

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Found some bigger rocks when trying to dig the pond deeper :(

20170301_112348.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I want to thank everybody for all the advises i got at this forum and information.without you it would have been a disaster.Now i really like my pond.Started it up for the first time today.Got my filter and pumps yesterday.Only need to foam all my 4 waterfalls now (much of the water goes under/behind the rocks) and hide the hoses and liner and put in some more plants.

And maybe make the waterfall not so wide...smaler to get more water action.

Reaction score
Country
Finland
20170709_221202.jpg

Picture taken 9 july 2017...but now i have another idea..want to make it bigger :)

Reaction score
Country
Finland
20170709_221229.jpg

A small channel with bridge over and a pump in the left pond pumping water to the right pond and from there 2 pumps too waterfall.Fish will be able to swim between the left and right pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
but now i have another idea..want to make it bigger

... said every pond owner everywhere! I like your idea for an addition - although I don't think you'll absolutely have to have two pumps. The water can flow from the old pond to the new and then get pumped from the new pond back to the waterfalls. You just need to make sure you have a pump that can push enough water the distance and height it needs to travel.

It all turned out beautifully! I am just a tad worried about how close to your pond you planted some of those trees and shrubs - at their current size they look great, but years down the road they may overgrow the space. Just something to consider - although you may have already thought of that and chosen varieties that stay compact. In that case - ignore me!

Thanks for catching us up on your pond @Lillburt - at this time of year many of us are desperate for pond talk!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I want to thank everybody for all the advises i got at this forum and information.without you it would have been a disaster.Now i really like my pond.Started it up for the first time today.Got my filter and pumps yesterday.Only need to foam all my 4 waterfalls now (much of the water goes under/behind the rocks) and hide the hoses and liner and put in some more plants.

And maybe make the waterfall not so wide...smaler to get more water action.

Nice looking pond! great job!

Reaction score
Country
Finland
... said every pond owner everywhere! I like your idea for an addition - although I don't think you'll absolutely have to have two pumps. The water can flow from the old pond to the new and then get pumped from the new pond back to the waterfalls. You just need to make sure you have a pump that can push enough water the distance and height it needs to travel.

It all turned out beautifully! I am just a tad worried about how close to your pond you planted some of those trees and shrubs - at their current size they look great, but years down the road they may overgrow the space. Just something to consider - although you may have already thought of that and chosen varieties that stay compact. In that case - ignore me!

Thanks for catching us up on your pond @Lillburt - at this time of year many of us are desperate for pond talk!

At the moment i have 2 pumps...1x16000liter/hour up to the waterfalls...and 1x5000liter/hour to the biofilter/uv and then ends up in the waterfalls.in the new pond i will try to make a slow creek/waterfall.and there i might put another 5000liter/hour that push water to the creek/waterfall and half goes to the old pond to get the water mixed and also passes to the biofilter/uv.

my 3 koi fishes will be able to swim to the new pond under a bridge in the channel...thats my plans.but when i was digging out soil yester day i hit mountain/big rocks so we will se how deep i can get the new pond.

I havent thought about how big the trees will get later on...but the buxbom in the middle grows really slow.the biggest concern about the trees would be the japanees blood maple tree.the closest on the picture is a dwarf pear tree (for balkony terrasses) stay smal i hope :)

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I like the idea of having all water pumped from the new pond up back to the waterfalls at the old pond.there should be some nice water movements between the ponds under the bridge.how deep should i digg so the fish will be able to swim?i have to move the filter and buy new electric box.

The distance is around 15 meters long and about 1 meter climbing.any pump can handle that?

My biggest pump i got is this:

SunSun NEO-16000 SuperEco Pond Pump submersible Pumps 16000l/h 140W
• SunSun SUPER Eco Pond Pump NEO-16000
• Watercourse Pump, Pond Filter Pump, Skimmer
• Max. pump capacity up to 16000l/h - 140W
• Max. delivery head 7.5m

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best thing is around 1 1/2 feet to 2 feet deep because I have koi and they were babies back in 2005 and now way over 2 feet long and very heavy and large .The females have bigger body girth than the males .

Ask a Question