Help with waterpump size + filter?

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by Lillburt, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Lillburt

Lisak1

... said every pond owner everywhere! I like your idea for an addition - although I don't think you'll absolutely have to have two pumps. The water can flow from the old pond to the new and then get pumped from the new pond back to the waterfalls. You just need to make sure you have a pump that can push enough water the distance and height it needs to travel.

It all turned out beautifully! I am just a tad worried about how close to your pond you planted some of those trees and shrubs - at their current size they look great, but years down the road they may overgrow the space. Just something to consider - although you may have already thought of that and chosen varieties that stay compact. In that case - ignore me!

Thanks for catching us up on your pond @Lillburt - at this time of year many of us are desperate for pond talk!

Lisak1, Jan 8, 2018
    Lillburt likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Lillburt

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Nice looking pond! great job!

addy1, Jan 8, 2018
    Lillburt likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Lillburt

Lillburt

At the moment i have 2 pumps...1x16000liter/hour up to the waterfalls...and 1x5000liter/hour to the biofilter/uv and then ends up in the waterfalls.in the new pond i will try to make a slow creek/waterfall.and there i might put another 5000liter/hour that push water to the creek/waterfall and half goes to the old pond to get the water mixed and also passes to the biofilter/uv.

my 3 koi fishes will be able to swim to the new pond under a bridge in the channel...thats my plans.but when i was digging out soil yester day i hit mountain/big rocks so we will se how deep i can get the new pond.

I havent thought about how big the trees will get later on...but the buxbom in the middle grows really slow.the biggest concern about the trees would be the japanees blood maple tree.the closest on the picture is a dwarf pear tree (for balkony terrasses) stay smal i hope :)

Lillburt, Jan 9, 2018
    sissy likes this.
  4. Lillburt

Lillburt

I like the idea of having all water pumped from the new pond up back to the waterfalls at the old pond.there should be some nice water movements between the ponds under the bridge.how deep should i digg so the fish will be able to swim?i have to move the filter and buy new electric box.

The distance is around 15 meters long and about 1 meter climbing.any pump can handle that?

My biggest pump i got is this:

SunSun NEO-16000 SuperEco Pond Pump submersible Pumps 16000l/h 140W
    • SunSun SUPER Eco Pond Pump NEO-16000
    • Watercourse Pump, Pond Filter Pump, Skimmer
    • Max. pump capacity up to 16000l/h - 140W
    • Max. delivery head 7.5m

Lillburt, Jan 20, 2018
  5. Lillburt

sissy sissy

best thing is around 1 1/2 feet to 2 feet deep because I have koi and they were babies back in 2005 and now way over 2 feet long and very heavy and large .The females have bigger body girth than the males .

sissy, Jan 20, 2018
  6. Lillburt

Lillburt

Is mixing goldfish with koi a bad idea?

When i make the pond bigger i want more then only 3 koi..and putting 3 more koi maybe is overkill.

will put up a video in the spring to show how big it went..

-10c this night so hard to dig right now.But next week it will rain and be around +5c

Lillburt, Jan 21, 2018
  7. Lillburt

Lisak1

You can mix koi and goldfish - they coexist peacefully. Goldfish are very efficient breeders though, so adding just a few will turn into many many many more!

Lisak1, Jan 21, 2018
  8. Lillburt

Lillburt

Some pictures of the progress with my "make pond bigger" project :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lillburt, Feb 3, 2018
    Becky, sissy and addy1 like this.
  9. Lillburt

sissy sissy

Have to ask what is that black pipe and what looks like white foam ,is it some kind of deicer

sissy, Feb 3, 2018
  10. Lillburt

Lillburt

[​IMG]

Yes...Deicer...icestoper...keeps an open area on the pond.i have a airpump right under that piece of white foam.it stays there with some sand bags on the bottom with rope connected.works really well

Lillburt, Feb 3, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  11. Lillburt

sissy sissy

HMMM interesting what other countries have 'Here we use ones that use electricity to heat the water around it or you can use the new kind which is not cheap .

sissy, Feb 3, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question