Help with waterpump size + filter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think you have the beginnings of a really nice water feature, and there a lot of people here who will be very happy to help you through the construction process.:)
My opinion, and I'm sure others will contribute, is to start out with a nice layout as you already have, learn as you go along and add/subtract features or filters as you go.
I suggest nothing more than a water pump feeding the stream and waterfalls for now.
How cold and long is your winter?
Will the plants you have in mind survive the winter?
What is the frost line for your area? (how deep does the ground freeze?) That will help determine how deep your pond should be. For my area, it is 1.3 meters and my pond is iced over for 6 months.

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Thank you for all thoughts and help so far.Live on a smal island so the winters are not so cold.in 2009 i read about some reports of ground freeze domn 45cm and that was like a record.in middle of march we can have nice spring temperatures but still cold nights.i have to look up what plants can handle the temperatures here.then i will buy pond liner and 1 big waterpump 3000-4000GPH with 40mm pipe up to upper pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You're fortunate that you live so close to a major body of water. It really helps minimize severe temperature swings.
Hopefully you have a large selection of plants to choose from.

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Have now received my aquaforte Eco o 13000.going to use 50mm pipe and lets hope there will be enough movements in the stream and 2 waterfalls :)

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Went after some stones a couple days ago.found some that i like.

20161220_133006.jpg

Did also dig alot deeper than it was before.

20161222_124209.jpg

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That's a big-ass boulder sitting there. You must have been fertilizing that sucker for years to get it that big.:)

You're going to use a single, large liner for the entire pond, right?

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Yes...1 big liner (Firestone EPDM Pondgard) 6,1m x 6,1m should be enough..

Yes...that big boulder was found underground where the road is now...i wanted it so they pushed it into my garden :)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Good on you for using a single, large liner.

I would suggest laying the whole thing into your excavation, filling it up to its ultimate fill height, stacking your stones, finishing off your waterfall and disguising your edge before you do any excess liner trimming.

The pond edge is where the overall "professional" appearance comes from, the pond should be at near-level with the surrounding ground and no liner should be visible.

Leave the extra liner is you can and simply bury it adjacent to the pond edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
if your criteria for construction is no fish ... ever ... and clear water, then the next criterion is how much water you want to flow over the waterfalls. there are two types of waterfalls .. he falls and she falls. a he fall drops further and makes more sound than a soft she fall that tends to drop a short distance and sheet. the look is purely esthetic since there are no fish. just measure the width of your falls and use the combined width to determine the rate of flow for your pump. as for clarity, the only turbidity will come from the falls themselves and if they fall on a rock bed, the disturbance will be minimized. some turbid water can be generated by the streams if the flow is fast enough however the rocks tend to settle sediment out.

Reaction score
Country
Finland
The more i look around on internet the more i am thinking about having fish in the future.thats why i almost dig it bigger everyday and change the scape of it.i returned my 13000L/H pond pump and is now thinking about the Aquaforte DM-Vario 20000L/H (You can change the L/H between 9000L-20000L/H.Then i think i can have both a she and he falls) :)
I measured the pond liner to be 5,05x7,00m

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thinking of some things that I have never heard a pond owner say:

"My pond is too big".

"My pond is too deep".

"I wish that I didn't have all of these beautiful Koi to watch".

"This waterfall makes too much noise".

"I wish that I had not put these plant shelves in".

I put my pond in 13 years ago. If I knew then, what I know now, it would have been different. I would caution you to do tons of research and think about how you will view the completed project. Changes are so much easier at this stage. Looks like you have a great start and a lot of enjoyment ahead!

I have a lot of people visit my pond and the thing that impresses them the most, are the fish. Just some food for thought......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Your decision is simple without fish. Your driving variable is your waterfall and what you want it to look like. The waterfall flow is dictated by its width and how loud you want it to be. A 40 cm wide waterfall needs twice as much water as a 20 cm wide feature. The further the water falls the louder it is. A sheeting waterfall is quieter than a waterfall with turbulence. Pick your poison.

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I have now changed my mind and want some 3-5 goldfish.the pond is to small for koi.
i have to count how many liters of water there will be.Around 1500 liters

Ask a Question