Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you! Coming from you - The Pondmaster - that is high praise and very appreciated! Yes - I have about 8 cans of foam and a professional applicator gun waiting for me! I am definitely locking things in place with smaller rocks and tons of foam. I will be draining all the water out and starting the foam stage - hopefully soon! Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have wasted so much water and money filling the pond -- but it was already 2/3 full from rain. I couldn't resist!
I would like your opinion on something: See the rock on a roll to the right side of the bog spillover picture? I am planning to plant a juniper there and it should hide the RoR. I didn't want to risk putting too much stress on all the flex pvc with a bunch of rocks. I know it is super strong but still tried to avoid it. If I did not use the RoR, I would have more flat gray rocks in a jigsaw arrangement and I wasn't sure how much of that would look good. And it would ultimately add weight to the bottom edge, which is where the main pvc runs. For the safety of the plumbing, RoR is a better choice there. But aesthetically, it isn't fabulous. So rocks or RoR? I do intend to have plants pretty much everywhere!
I guess some of it will determined by how many rocks I am able to afford today - and how quickly I run out of them! Maybe I can do a mix - keep the RoR and add a few more rocks over the top.
Hardly a master but thanks for the praise. I enjoy building things with my hands and reicating what nature
Has to offer. While I have a pretty good feel for the building part I have a long way to go in fish health. But at this point the fish are only one part of the big picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
even though i have a pond across the street no turtles have found the pond that i am aware of
How funny! It's like the turtle heard you say that and decided to visit you! We saw your video on YouTube. He is a neat little guy! (Or gal!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I told the mrs i need to keep my mouth shut, AND BECAREEFUL WHAT I SAY. Or just switch what i say Like I have never won 3/4 of a billion dollars BEFORE.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Topic - there is a lot of delayed gratification in ponding!
Yesterday I went back to the rock yard to order the rocks I need to FINISH the pond! The finish line is close now!
We discussed my past orders and were just getting ready to go outside and choose some stone, when it occurred to me that I have very specific delivery needs - one of them having to do with my narrow driveway. I reminded him that we have to have the older gentleman with a small bobcat make the delivery. The fancy one they normally use is too wide.
Guess what? The guy with the small bobcat doesn't work with them anymore.
DANG IT!
I said I'd prefer to continue working with them, since I have for the last 15 years. How could we make this work? What can we do? In the end, we left it that they have a new contact with a small bobcat, but he is on vacation. When he returns in a few days, they will call him to see what he would charge for the delivery.
If it takes longer than a week, I will go to a different rock place.
Arrrggghhh. I am so excited to finish up! But it is ok. I have other stuff to do! PLENTY of other stuff. I have neglected the yard and the house while I'm focused on pond-building, so it's ok. It's OK. Frustrating - but OK!
PATIENCE IS A PART OF PONDING.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey you never know stepping away for a few days looking at the pond from different directions may give you some ideas that can become a focal piece of your build. Like find that tree stump or decide to create a beach area instead of rocks . Or ever a large amount of moss v growing over the fabric and down into the pond. Or grass even

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey you never know stepping away for a few days looking at the pond from different directions may give you some ideas that can become a focal piece of your build. Like find that tree stump or decide to create a beach area instead of rocks . Or ever a large amount of moss v growing over the fabric and down into the pond. Or grass even
I do have an area I am thinking about with the grass or moss! :)Kind of a combo pebble beach but letting the grass head in there - to make it easier for amphibians.
I wonder if dwarf mondo grass would do that well? I have some I could pull starts from. The plus to that is no mowing, so no clippings flying in there.
Yesterday we had a pregnant doe checking out the construction!!!! Super exciting! I wonder if she will have two or three babies? Her head and legs looked like a deer, but I swear her body looked like a dang horse, she was so big! :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Topic - there is a lot of delayed gratification in ponding!
Yesterday I went back to the rock yard to order the rocks I need to FINISH the pond! The finish line is close now!
We discussed my past orders and were just getting ready to go outside and choose some stone, when it occurred to me that I have very specific delivery needs - one of them having to do with my narrow driveway. I reminded him that we have to have the older gentleman with a small bobcat make the delivery. The fancy one they normally use is too wide.
Guess what? The guy with the small bobcat doesn't work with them anymore.
DANG IT!
I said I'd prefer to continue working with them, since I have for the last 15 years. How could we make this work? What can we do? In the end, we left it that they have a new contact with a small bobcat, but he is on vacation. When he returns in a few days, they will call him to see what he would charge for the delivery.
If it takes longer than a week, I will go to a different rock place.
Arrrggghhh. I am so excited to finish up! But it is ok. I have other stuff to do! PLENTY of other stuff. I have neglected the yard and the house while I'm focused on pond-building, so it's ok. It's OK. Frustrating - but OK!
PATIENCE IS A PART OF PONDING.
Bobcat vacation? When there are ponds to build? Dang indeed! You will persevere, and the progress you've made is looking wonderful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dangerous advice. That's how I ended up spending 2 years building my pond. :ROFLMAO:
Well I would have to say your one in a million.. Though five years latter i'm still tinkering, as most will. We let the pond grow and show it's self. You definitely dissect things to the 9's i'm surprised a guy like you put the first shovel to the ground without all the questions answered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm already right there with you!
Na your making great progress @bagsmom . I know you put the project on hold for unforeseen issues, but once you got into it you've made short work of it. I think i speak for most of the regs here you have impressed me with your tenacity. And you didn't have a Barny.

I Cheated time and time again i had Barneys big brothers Cat, Bobcat and DEERE .....

Ask a Question