heron attack hopefully stopped in time?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i lost some fish over night.. a platinum ogon. a showa. and a hi utsuri that i can count as of now, not to mention a few goldies. im so pissed right now. something has to be eliminated,and not my fish. my fish are so spooked its pitifull. they wont even eat. this attack was costly..definately not stopped in time.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i had 38 fish in my 10 days ago... they wont sit still and are frantic at the slightest sight of anything... but im guessing theres about 2 dozen in there now.. maybe a few more but definately less than 30. its real sad to watch them slam into pots, walls, and each other trying to hide under anything..anything at all!!!i wish i lived somewhere i could get away with popping off a shot.....

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i wish i could, i live in a slightly upper scale area that would have every known law enforcement agency, department, and bureau here. i thought the kick in the a$$ from miss "DAISY" at his last visit might of kept it away. guess i was wrong.. successful hunts mean almost positively returning.

Reaction score
MassKoi said:
I suggest Shot, Shovel & Shutup is in order.

In the words of Joe Pesci, "You gotta have the hole already dug before you show up with a package in the trunk. Otherwise, you're talking about a half-hour to forty-five minutes worth of digging. And who knows who's gonna come along in that time? Pretty soon, you gotta dig a few more holes." :icon_mrgreen:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i really dont want to ugly up the pond area with nets and string and stakes or whatever but i guess i have to. anyone know if hawks swoop down and snag fish as eagles do? i saw a bunch of robins chasing one off this morning, from a neighbors yard. and i guess i have to remove the solar lights around the pond and shining on my waterfall.

Reaction score
Use the solar light to attach string too if they are tall enough. My string is strung between tikki torches. Looks a little better than plain poles stuck in the ground.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you know what kills is.. i havent lost a fish to disease, parasites,ulcers or whatnot, but to make up for it. Ive lost a dozen fish (in 2 incidences) in less than 2 weeks. i provide my fish with an extremely hospitable enviroment, and consider them family. i am assuming that its the heron because theres no mess just missing fish. i understand that racoons let you know they were there,by a big mess.

Reaction score
Sorry about that koiguy~ Does anyone know if decoys work? Perhaps putting some of them around might be effective. I myself have no experience using them but one of the local hardware stores near me does to keep birds away from the vegetables they sell. They claim they work, but maybe that's just on smaller ones.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
decoys do help, but not now its still mating season. you may just draw one in. put them out at the end of june early july. after mating season they are territorial.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
3/4" thinwall PVC with 36" wide plastic fencing from Home Depot. Use tie wraps to attach it. I can uncover my ponds in less than 2 minutes. It takes 3 minutes to put them back. Who cares what it looks like when you are not home?
By the way, CB 22 cal rounds are quieter than the Daisy BB gun and much more lethal.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You gota do what needs to be done...its a snack bar to them..

Ask a Question