heron attack hopefully stopped in time?

Reaction score
Marinate in Italian salad dressing overnight. Serve on a bed of brown rice with a side of steamed broccoli and carrots. . White or a nice Cab will work.

(may also try green beans served with carmalized onions as a side)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i ve already used that joke in another post guys... anyways would a heron eat 8 fish 5 over 10" in one meal? seems like a lot..there has been a couple of cranes in the area, they mate for life. so that may explain the quantity of fish taken.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have seen that same post for a ugly Koi recipe :icon_mrgreen:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Years ago I worked at a manufacturing plant near here. They had a bad Seagul problem leaving discards on their flat roof. They strung heavy duty fish line across the roof in both directions, and about eight feet apart in grids. The perimeter of the roof is raised about three feet which gave edging to attach the line to. It worked quite well. The fish line had the Seaguls so spooked they wouldn't come near the building. Rarely, but once in awhile the maintnance guys would find a dead gul tangled in the fish line. They would leave it there for a few days as a warning to the rest.

I am considering something simular over my pond. I have observed heron flying over on several occasions. What concerns me are the ones I not around to see.

shikkaba

Not Just Another Number
Reaction score
I know with our pond, we have tin foil plates hanging from multiple trees to scare them away. It works quite well. Also with our smaller pond in the backyard, there's a fine netting strung over the pond. You can still feed the koi (obviously), but it also prevents the heron from getting a snack as well as keeping too much debris from getting in.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Would you be able to put up a grid of heavy duty fish line up high enough over your pond where it doesn't obstruct anything you do around your pond? Put it up high enough to walk under, and the fish line just close enough together to snag the heron and make him think about what hit him.

A fish line grid was installed on a roof of a manufacturing plant I worked at to keep the messy seaguls off of the roof. Every so often one would go to land, get tangled, and break a wing hang there die.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The Egrets here, walk up to the pond then jump in or stand by the edge. They start on the lawn and move slowly to it. Running line high will do nothing for them. I have watched them up many times till I pull the trigger, and their stalking pattern is always the same.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ms. DAISY got a heron out of the yard again this morning, i gotta believe its the same one..by now he's gotta associate my pond with pain. i know he shows alot less often since M.S DAISY has been asking him to leave...he was sitting there baffled by the net. i think he left with a "headache".

Reaction score
i know it would not keep the birds out but have u thought about giving the fish somethin to hide in some sort of cover in the water, sorry about ur fish. im lucky enought not to half to deal with birds at the moment. knock on wood

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its actually getting fun popping his a$$ and gives me something to do with my morning coffee. although by now he should have associated my pond with pain..not breakfast. so i plan too borrow my freinds paint ball gun,we'll see how long it takes till hes no longer blue. or if its the same one or if i have more. if youve never been shot with a paintball...it definately dont tickle

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i just watched him fly over about 20' or so above ground alot of fish activity at the water surface and he didnt stop in..this just may be working. there was 15 to 20 fish eating off the border stones and flipping around, lots of activity, he kept going!!!

Ask a Question