heron attack hopefully stopped in time?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
we have swallows here to in the summer when i was a kid we had them nest in our porch every year ... and when the young first took flight most of them flew straight into our kitchen !! lovely birds last summer i had a kestral fly in my garden after a dove it was a real treat to see as i live in a pretty built up area :0)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have decide to use a motion detector floodlight setup and and a 12 volt power supply wired to a car horn....when activated, the pond area will be lit up and a car horn will be blairing.all at ponds side.maybe do this setup on a remote control power plug.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i have decide to use a motion detector floodlight setup and and a 12 volt power supply wired to a car horn....when activated, the pond area will be lit up and a car horn will be blairing.all at ponds side.maybe do this setup on a remote control power plug.

no neighbors to wake up i guess?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well to those who said the BB gun "just wont work"...2 years now...without incident...no string, nets, pvc,alarms, scarecrows, or what not. yet i still see them in and out of the creek 200 yards from my pond!....imagine that!
a few times flying off on an empty stomach and a BB sting..it would appear that they associate my pond with pain not breakfast!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
well to those who said the BB gun "just wont work"...2 years now...without incident...no string, nets, pvc,alarms, scarecrows, or what not. yet i still see them in and out of the creek 200 yards from my pond!....imagine that!
a few times flying off on an empty stomach and a BB sting..it would appear that they associate my pond with pain not breakfast!

I have found this works koiguy1969. Once they see a threat they will hunt elsewhere. The night heron that was in my pool had the crap scared out of him by my dog so I don't thnk he'll be back either. :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
Im glad to hear koiguy that your heron is gone.I was wondering if yall dont mind posting some pics of your pond with the nets?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's great..............till the new guy comes to town :regular_waving_emot

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i've identified 3 different birds ...we have white cranes as well but they have as of now, declined to stop here..that may be due to the decoy! the time i worry about is during the actual migration. its a long ways and they've got to eat. i'm sure they cross territories when enroute.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
i know its his nature to fish but every time he comes here he leaves in pain, i can see him down at the creek doing his thing. he doesnt see me,im looking out thru the blinds in a dark house.. he actually flies around my property now,at least a couple houses away. but like i said ms daisy is always in the corner in case. 3 weeks every single day i watch fly around close by never landing. oh 2 weeks ago he got hurt while still in flight..he wont even fly over my property now!!

Just wondering how you get a shot off. I got off the chair and to throw rocks and that spooked him even 50 ft away.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Make a PVC frame with plastic fencing material and tie wraps. It only takes a few seconds to remove and replace.
I have a 20x 35 pond surface with rocks and plants on edges, how can I do this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wouldn't recommend shooting at them - they are a protected species. They will become bolder and bolder as they assess the threat level. Being unpredictable may help.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
What power is that BB gun and what range? I also don't want to kill it but give it a good hurting.

Ask a Question