heron attack hopefully stopped in time?

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Since I added a scope to mine, I never miss. You only get one shot before they take flight.

Yea, it seems that are very perceptive. Couple days ago my wife was in the kitchen when one landed. She leaned over at the table, way inside the room and the heron spooked and flew away.

Reaction score
leeannecastro said:
I think I am being attacked by a king fisher. I have lost one fish that I know of. My largest goldfish (about 16 inches long) has a straight gash on one side and another fish has the same gash on both sides. It looks like something tried to get it but they were too big to pick up. This makes me think it was not a GBH but rather something small. I can't think of anything other than a king fisher. Anyone know what it could be?

Kingfisher or Green Heron

Reaction score
BTW, everyone knows this, but it seems worth saying again. Be really careful if you contemplate shooting a GBH. Fines for shooting some protected birds, e.g. raptors, in Oregon can be up to $5,000. And shooting an Eagle is $10,000 and 6 months in the pokey. Couldn't find what the penalty is for a GBH, but i doubt if it's chickenfeed.

Reaction score
To be honest, I HATE killing things. even those nasty house sparrows; there's nothing good about them, nothing. still, taking a life is pretty huge karmically. when i was a kid and didn't know any better, i lived on a farm in texas. i shot everything that moved. possums, jackrabbits, cottontails, owls, coons, skunks, armadillos, squirrels (ate them). In any case, to this day it grieves me to think about it because it was so unnecessary and i know i caused suffering needlessly.

in the case of these Herons, they are trespassing. And they are predators. And they are attacking our pets. So, it'll be a very, very sad thing for me if I ever have to kill one, but I will. Right now it looks like the Scarecrow will do the trick. And, before I kill a Heron I'll buy that other newer deterrent with the noise, light and mirror. Might even consider fencing our dogs by the pond when we're not home. I'd really very much rather not shoot one notwithstanding the fines and penalties.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
D&RW said:
Beeman makes an outstanding pellet gun. I have one with an $80 scope I use to dispatch house sparrows. However, I got the lower powered one, 750 ft./sec. If I were to get another one I'd get the 1000 ft/sec because mine is too low powered for bigger birds like starlings.

i can understand people shooting a heron or another bird to protect there fish (even though i could never do it myself) but a sparrow!!! that seems a bit cruel to me ...sparrows are on the decline and here in the uk most people feed them and other birds in there gardens

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I am currently at work posted in a guard shack here at the 'Northwest Fisheries Science Center' in Seattle waiting to do my next security rove of the facility. On my rove around the outer buildings and perimeter of the property, I walked up on a large blue heron at the edge of lake Washington. When it took flight, I think he startled me more than I startled it. I guess that explains why I have never heard any frogs here around this end of the lake.

Happy ponding,:helm2:

Reaction score
stroppy said:
i can understand people shooting a heron or another bird to protect there fish (even though i could never do it myself) but a sparrow!!! that seems a bit cruel to me ...sparrows are on the decline and here in the uk most people feed them and other birds in there gardens

Actually, the bird I'm talking about is not a true sparrow at all. Technically it is called a Weaver Finch (aka English Sparrow & House Sparrow). They were imported from the UK I think, in the 1900s, i.e. not native and not protected. But here is why I shoot them.

1) We used to live in Texas and had two Martin apartment houses. The Weaver Finch is an extremely prolific breeder and is a cavity nester. They love Martin houses. I have seen them pulling the Martin baby birds out of their apartment and toss them out onto the ground. Unbelievable.
2) Weaver Finches will build their nest directly on top of another birds nest with eggs in it. They can build a full sized nest in half a day.
3) I have seen Weaver Finches dive bombing a House Wren who was trying to feed her young. They couldn't even get into that size hole in that house, but they kept harassing the wren anyway.
4) Weavers have 4-5 broods of 4-5 eggs per year compared to 1-2 broods of 2-3 eggs for most other song birds.
5) Weaver Finchs carry several kinds of mites and parasites that are deadly to small Martins and other birds.
6) And lastly, the Weaver has a redundant, repetitive, grating chirp. It's not even nice to listen to.

Guess you could say I don't like em. :bowdown:

Reaction score
Is that right Stroppy? A twitcher? How interesting.

Yea, I love birds too. Don't go out too much with the binocular crowd, but I'd LOVE to have the $$ to buy some really good camera equipment and do photographs of them (and other wildlife.)

And regarding the weaver finches. mostly i've adopted a live and let live attitude with them. IF they leave our Violet Green Swallows, Chickadees and Nuthatches alone while they are nesting, I don't bother the weaver finches when they come to share the food in winter. You can do a lot to control them by feeding quality birdfood that does not have millet. Walmart and other big boxes sell products that have a lot of millet filler and weavers love millet. But if you go to a bird store like Wild Birds Unlimited and buy the good stuff, the weavers aren't attracted.

Ask a Question