Hi from "end of my rope" aka Pittsburgh, PA

Reaction score
Hi all,

my wife and I are trying to get a "koi pond" (really only for big goldfish) but we are having a nightmare of a time trying to find anyone willing to do it in concrete.

There are definitely some challenges associated with the site but we have been through dozens of Contractors who say they are interested and then never call back.

I am joining the forums in a last effort to get some advice. I am going to head on over and see if I can upload some images of our concepts and site (and do a little more whining).

Thanks,

J

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You would think they would be hungry with this economy. Post your site you want the pond to be maybe we can help with suggestions.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and why do you want cement is it going to be a raised pond .Much cheaper with a liner and faster and cleaner and no worrys about cracking from freeze and shifting

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
frogpondwelcome2.gif
CplDevilDog
Don't hear of too many peeps building w/ concrete nowadays,most use rubber liners. Just wondering why you are choosing concrete? Whatever way you are doing it we will be glad to try and help w/ your build.
We would enjoy seeing pictures and don't even mind the whining :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi j.w. (and others)

Thanks for so many replies already.

I put up a couple of pics over in the Construction forum. I'll add a couple of more as soon as I am back at the PC. The semi-raised design is the main reason for needing concrete. Was planning on doing it in reinforced block but the subsurface rock has left me scratching my head

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes read your other posts and now understand your predicament. Wish I could help but never dealt w/ hard ground as we have sandy soil here and can dig a pond w/ ease. You know there has got to be somebody out there that can help you............finding them might be tough. Best of luck to ya!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you checked out the preformed pool manufactures some do ponds .Look for one in PA

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could do a liner pond, using wood to make the semi raised part. With good construction the wood would work great.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
checked some of it out and you may want to check out your homeowners policy if the water flows towards your house and the pond ever breaks you will be liable and the contractor could be held liable maybe thats why they do not want to do it .It could flood your house .To high risk for them and there insurance company for the contractors will not cover them if they build it and it fails when they fill it with water .I guess to risky by what my son says and could be a problem for any neighbors that could get hit by the flowing water .It comes down to way to much of a destruction risk to others .It is like building a home on the side of a cliff what happens when you get to the end of the build and a something shifts and down comes the house ,who's fault is it if it was done right but something still goes wrong .Murphy's Law thing

Ask a Question