Hi from North Carolina!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wasn't for sure where to post my thread, but here it goes. I need help! I just purchased my first home and it was a land/mobile home package. We have a artesian well and for some reason the company that put in our well has the the pipe that runs constant water to a ditch in front of our house and it is causing issues.

My neighbor from across the street came by my home to let me know that the overflow from that ditch is flowing into her land and causing a muddy mess along with loosing grass on her land. I am not sure want to do. I only have 0.79 acres of land and I don't have a stream or anything to flow the water in a different direction. Should I build a pond ? Need help!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
whitekittywelcome.gif
@MelissaG
Wow a nice thing you got going there if you can corral that water and use it for a pond. Not sure how to work it tho. Once the pond gets full of the water then where will the excess go? Not sure about this one. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 159246@MelissaG
Wow a nice thing you got going there if you can corral that water and use it for a pond. Not sure how to work it tho. Once the pond gets full of the water then where will the excess go? Not sure about this one. Hopefully someone else can help you.
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Not sure what to do

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does not have a shut off, it just flows constantly?

Can a shut off be installed?

Maybe the well company will have suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Constantly flowing water will flood a pond too - this whole set up sounds like someone goofed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does not have a shut off, it just flows constantly?

Can a shut off be installed?

Maybe the well company will have suggestions.
They are telling us that it cannot be shut off, because it releases the pressure

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd look into police records see if you bought into a nightmare. See if the neighbor had already called police or if there are court records . Board of health is a possibility as well if the neighbor previously had said nothing and the well / water run off is natural then they have no case imo. If previous own redirected flow from his yard to the neighbors yard then the previous could be liable which could make you liable.

But the odds of a pond doing anything for you is very slim.

Hey maybe this is a gold mine in disguise have the well tested if it's pure clean h20 then start bottling it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If constantly running wells are the norm where you live, there must be a solution. Either there is a way to shut it off, or contain the water flow,

If a pond was big enough, evaporation could cancel inflow. Or a biggy wetland with lots of plants to suck up the water.

Maybe ask the neighbor being effected by the water flow how they get water. If they don't have an artesian well there must be options. And if they do have an artesian well, how do they control it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would think that with enough plants, enough aerators, and a plan to handle any remaining runoff in a way that you and your neighbor can live with, a pond would be a great way to utilize that excess water.

Would need a lot more details about the layout of the properties, including direction and degrees of slope. You can't make the water go uphill without a pump, but you can often make the direction you want the water to go to be downhill.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm thinking the county needs to be involved w/this issue first and see if the well digger did everything right or wrong.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can't make the water go uphill without a pump,
This is true but in the right conditions you can have a pump that works without the use of electricity or any fossil fuels. Look into a ram pump. I have often seen where areas were water is not abundant but there was an artesian well that people would pipe the water to the edge of the road and let people fill up water jugs. Put out a donation chest.

Ask a Question