Hi from Ontario

Reaction score
sissy said:
I have been looking for a preform with a lip on it like that around here and can not find one .Where did you get yours and do you remember the name of it .I know you are in Canada but maybe by chance I can find it here

I found mine trough local clasifieds, here are some examples;

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...ple-of-seasons-now-retired-W0QQAdIdZ298996597

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...ddition-for-Backyard-Pond-W0QQAdIdZ299337804#

Hope that helps.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze the first one there I like but would not want to pay for shipping and the prices are great jp

Reaction score
Hi all, I need some advice or opinions, I recently added a Laguna Powerflow 1000/4500 for extra filtration as my pond's population keeps growing (got two females now!) and I don't want them to get sick or something like that but my problem is that when everything was ready to roll the water started flowing trough the filter(Laguna powerflow) but started to overflow and all the water was coming out the edges so I had to shut the pump off and disconnect it, I got water circulating back to the pond again but its a temporary fix, so I'm adding some pics and do you guys think is just a matter of setting the filter higher above ground to stop the overflowing issue? The filter says its good for up to 1000GPH and the pump I got its a Laguna Max Flow 600 good for 600GPH.

Water comes from the in ground Laguna Pressure-Flo 1400.

img0570a.jpg

Water then comes out of the filter and goes into the preform trough two hoses, notice the hoses are about 5 inches below the top of the filter.

img0571ac.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
JP, I think I see your problem. The second (box) filter is designed to overflow through those two outlets and into the pond or waterfall. By adding the hoses you are restricting the flow, causing the filter to overflow. And yes, the filter should be a foot or so above the pond water level, which would also help with this problem. I use two of these filters (on two different ponds, and the only trouble I've had is a bit of overflow when I don't get the one cleaned out often enough. John

Reaction score
John fist of thanks for your reply and yes you are right, I was almost certain on the cause of the over flowing but I thought I would ask, anyway, yesterday I lift up the filter and put some blocks under neath it and the water stopped over flowing and even tho the filter outlets are suppose to be use like you said with the filter being higher its running fine.

Now that you talked about the cleaning of this filter, how often do you clean it and do you just clean the foam part or the trays with the biological media too?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The one on my turtle tank (300g.) gets the foam hosed off about three weeks after setting up in the spring, then not until the turtles come inside around this time of the year. By the way, there are four 8 - 9" turtles in that tank. The second filter is on a display pond at the garden center where I work part-time. It holds about 600g. of water, two 16" koi, and around 40 goldfish from 2" to 8" in size. Add to that the fact that kids are allowed to feed the fish, and you have quite a heavy bio-load. The filter is set up with polyester batting in the top tray, the foam in the middle, and Bio-Balls in the bottom compartment. The batting is changed roughly every two weeks, the foam rinsed and replaced once a month, and the Bio-Balls rinsed in a pail and replaced when the foam is cleaned. After the busy season, the whole filter is cleaned about every 2 to 2 1/2 months. The fish are all healthy and we've never had a death in the eight years or so that the filter has been in use. And by the way, the pond is in a green-house foyer, so the water stays warm enough for the fish to be fed all year. John

Reaction score
Great info John, thanks, so I guess cleaning mine let say once every two moths should be ok considering my fish load and that I also have another filter with mechanical and biological filtration.

Juan.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yes, JP, with your pressure filter ahead of the box you won't see the kind of sludge that builds up in mine. Let me know when you clean it how bad it was; I sell Laguna products at the garden center and like to know as much as possible about them, Feedback from customers and contacts such as yourself are invaluable in this regard. Good luck with your pond! John

Reaction score
Time for an update, this year about a month ago decided to change my pond's set up, took all the laguna equipment and replaced it with Aquascape skimmer system and Aquascape micro falls instead of the preformed upper pond I had, also now I got a 2500g/h pump and at the same time replaced the liner and expanded the pond, added plants and river rock to the bottom, very happy with the new set up, the only thing now is adding a UV light with enough flow rate but haven't been able to find one for the right price. Now some pics. Cheers.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ask a Question