Hi - I am just setting up a new pond.

Reaction score
The pond has a capacity of 10,000 litres and I am buying an OASE pump / filter set of recommended capacity - but I am unsure how long they should be run for ?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The beneficial bacteria does not like to be without water flow, it tends to die off after around 5-6 hours. It is best if you keep it running 24/7 if you have fish.
With fish you want to keep the bacteria as happy as possible.

and

animated-welcome-jumping-kid-2.gif
to our group

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomerat.gif
Alan
I run mine 24/7. The only thing I sometimes turn off in the winter is the falls and haven't been doing that in the past couple yrs either.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
The beneficial bacteria does not like to be without water flow, it tends to die off after around 5-6 hours.
Is it absolutely necessary to have water flow for the bacteria to live? I'm thinking there's got to be dead spots in ponds and surely bacteria can live even without water flow. I've had my pumps shut off for days because of power outages and I sure hope my bacteria didn't die off then.

Reaction score
Is it absolutely necessary to have water flow for the bacteria to live? I'm thinking there's got to be dead spots in ponds and surely bacteria can live even without water flow. I've had my pumps shut off for days because of power outages and I sure hope my bacteria didn't die off then.
They probably did, you just didn't know it. Only way to tell is to listen very closely, you can here them gasping for oxygen before they die. :faint:

Reaction score
Welcome! I'm new to the forum too. I run mine 24/7 except for power outages and when I scoop muck from the bottom.
Recently our power was out 4 days. We borrowed a generator for the last two. I was in a panic. It was so hot I was afraid I'd look out there and find them poached. Had an algal bloom that I'm still trying to get under control.

Reaction score
Welcome to the group!

and I agree with 24/7 as well. There are two schools of thought IMO... have mechanical on 24/7, or none period. If NONE, you need to build/maintain your bacterias naturally (a true self contained eco system) with the aid of plants (and lots of them), but going this route, you need to be very careful with your fish load, and it takes a good deal of time to build a healthy/balanced eco system naturally.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm sorry I mis-spoke. I meant to say I run my waterfall 24/7 as I don't have a filter running in my pond right now. I just use a net to clean out muck now and then and do partial water changes from my well water now and then. I just have goldfish tho and not a horrendous amt of them.

Ask a Question