Hole in pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you guys find out where you have a hole in the liner? I look apart my waterfall which usually it’s the chipmunks was wet but can’t find a hole and the water is still going down. The only thing I can think of is letting the water go down and then when it stops look there. I tried everything. Besides letting it drain. I just feel defeated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Have you turned off the pump & it's still going down? If so, then yeah, letting it drain down until it stops is sort of the only way to find the level of where the leak is & look there. Do make sure you go around all the edges very carefully & make sure there are no low spots or areas where folds have gotten some dirt or plant material in them - wicking can cause a tremendous amount of water loss. Stream edges are other big culprits, but if you've turned off all flow, then it can't be that. Good luck. It is frustrating.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pump is still going but I have all new tubes and a whole new filter and it’s not going through the falls. I just hav it shooting in.. Im literally like I’m going to make this look beautiful this year and yeah it’s still going down. About 2 inches a day. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t the falls. So I did that. But I didn’t trust it so I still took the falls apart and it was fine. But I’m going to replace the liner again cause it’s not going to hurt.

Attachments

• 021A574F-CF3F-47D0-AD6C-FF7BDCE0614B.jpeg
    021A574F-CF3F-47D0-AD6C-FF7BDCE0614B.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United States
The pump is still going but I have all new tubes and a whole new filter and it’s not going through the falls. I just hav it shooting in.. Im literally like I’m going to make this look beautiful this year and yeah it’s still going down. About 2 inches a day. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t the falls. So I did that. But I didn’t trust it so I still took the falls apart and it was fine. But I’m going to replace the liner in the falls again cause it’s not going to hurt

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Losing water can indeed be frustrating, especially when you can't pinpoint the cause.

How old is your pond? What type of liner do you have? How big is it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Getting a hole in a liner shouldn't be a frequent occurrence. 45 mil EPDM is tough stuff. Animals can chew it, but that would be easy to find.

Your plan to let the water level drop as low as it will drop is a solid one - once you stop losing water you'll at least know you're below the leak. Turn everything off and see what happens.

Do you have fish? If so you should add an aerator if you don't have one already.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I have 3 koi and a goldfish in there right now. I have my filter spaying in there right now. So it’s getting everything they need. I had a problem with chipmunks. last year under my waterfall. And I took care of that. They were burrowing under it. So that’s what I thought it was again. But it’s definitely not that now. Cause I took apart that! On the positive part. The water is crystal clear! Lol if I don’t laugh I’m going to cry again.

Attachments

• 492690CF-4646-48F3-9F4C-3D499369C9BB.jpeg
    492690CF-4646-48F3-9F4C-3D499369C9BB.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 18
  • A06AFF19-180C-4367-82D2-E905E4F6C463.jpeg
    A06AFF19-180C-4367-82D2-E905E4F6C463.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
YIKES! Three koi! That appears to be a tiny pond for koi, if what we can see in the photo is the totality of your pond ... but that's another discussion.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Omg no!! That’s just the waterfall. Or what’s left of it. It’s about 3000 gallons. And I’m looking into making it bigger within the next 2 years. I want it about 5ft deep and expand it about 7 more ft

Ask a Question