How do I hide this liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Update. 1 edge done I think. Just 3 more to go. Why did I start this ‍ be worth it hopefully next year when it’s all planted up
did you study addy's drawing? A BETTER idea (sorry, I know you've already started) would be to lower the pond water about 6", dig out a 4" shelf 4" down, lay the liner on it, THEN up and over and buried by soil and plants. On this new 4" shelf, you can place rocks that will be half submerged and look natural. When you add plants, they'll grow over and help naturalize even more. Great start, though!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
did you study addy's drawing? A BETTER idea (sorry, I know you've already started) would be to lower the pond water about 6", dig out a 4" shelf 4" down, lay the liner on it, THEN up and over and buried by soil and plants. On this new 4" shelf, you can place rocks that will be half submerged and look natural. When you add plants, they'll grow over and help naturalize even more. Great start, though!
It just seemed like so much more hard work. I’ll try that at one of the other edges tomorrow n see if it works better

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It just seemed like so much more hard work. I’ll try that at one of the other edges tomorrow n see if it works better
yeah, it can be, if your soil is hard to dig but 4" down is like half a shovel depth. I didn't have addy's shelf when I did my pond for the first time either and tried to cover the exposed parts with hanging plants, coco coir, etc but when I began to see other ponds I admired, they made me wish I'd known/done the same. So, you're getting that nudge now. Google pics of ponds and see if you begin to like the 'covered edged' ones better than the multitude of those where the edge liner is exposed. You're actually doing your pond a service too because the sun will break down the liner where exposed, and you'll get less life than expected.

Maybe have a fish n chips party where you invite some young, muscle-bound lads? The UK equivalent of a pizza party for unsuspecting friends and family!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yeah, it can be, if your soil is hard to dig but 4" down is like half a shovel depth. I didn't have addy's shelf when I did my pond for the first time either and tried to cover the exposed parts with hanging plants, coco coir, etc but when I began to see other ponds I admired, they made me wish I'd known/done the same. So, you're getting that nudge now. Google pics of ponds and see if you begin to like the 'covered edged' ones better than the multitude of those where the edge liner is exposed. You're actually doing your pond a service too because the sun will break down the liner where exposed, and you'll get less life than expected.

Maybe have a fish n chips party where you invite some young, muscle-bound lads? The UK equivalent of a pizza party for unsuspecting friends and family!
Yeah I know what you mean. I will def try that tomorrow. I’ll have to get these fit lads to find me some rocks from the river too

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it's only because addy is stubbornly refusing to give into getting some koi in her pond. I figure, we can outlast her, PJ!
Never! Very happy with my procreating little herd! Prob over 100 fish, no way to count them all.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
is this better?
rock edge_LI.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The first is not recommended as the liner always shows the space between the rocks and needs to be under water and then comes up outside and it folded and buried vertically
1629464060267-png.142116
1629464075312-png.142117

Last edited:

Ask a Question