How Late Can You Move Koi

Reaction score
I have six koi over a foot long in a mudd pond,there is also babies in there to. We going to drain the pond because it has (yellow bellies catfish) bullheads in there, we thought we had them gone ,because earlier in the spring we put Cooper Sulfate in there before we put the koi in there, so we waited for three months to put the koi in there and now we see catfish. Is it to late in the year to move the koi to a liner pond,or should we wait untill spring time. I have called around this person said now is the time,the other said it would put them into shock. So i need some help here, i dont want to kill my koi. Oh i am in Ohio and our weather is lower 50's maybe 60's but at night it is going to get in the 30's.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I personally don't think it makes much difference as long as you make sure the water temperature is matched when they are transferred and you have taken time to equalize the water chemistry. I recommend an hour of gradual water dilutions from the new pond so the water change is gradual and will not shock them.

Reaction score
Ok , The guy is coming tommarrow to see about diging the hole,i want to try and get everything up and runing before he digs out the spillway of the pond.How much salt should i use the pond is going to be 9 x 17 by 4ft deep.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you are going to salt your pond, then get a saline testing kit before you do it. Then read up on the levels. Some plants cannot survive in the salted pond depending on the % used.

If you goto my web site, you will find information and a link to a University that has done studies on the use of salt in ponds.

Ask a Question