How to grow watercress from seeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought watercress seeds, vermiculite, and peat. What is the best way to grow the seeds and can they then be transferred to the water without soil like a floating plant? I’ve tried googling but am having difficulty getting a definitive answer b

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The easiest way to grow watercress is to get it from your local produce department. I have got both bunches as well as the bagged. Just stick the stems in the water. It roots in less than a week. Not sure about growing from seed . If you can get them to grow in the media you have, then just transfer to the pond. Mine is in the gravel of my bog as well as floating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I could never find it in a store so I bought some seeds, sprinkled them on top of some loose soil in a small pot, pressed them down a bit and sat it in the bog. Once it starts, get out of the way. Every where it touches water it will root again - look closely at the bunch in the waterfall and you'll see the roots. Pretty plant though.
20230610_163221.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I could never find it in a store so I bought some seeds, sprinkled them on top of some loose soil in a small pot, pressed them down a bit and sat it in the bog. Once it starts, get out of the way. Every where it touches water it will root again - look closely at the bunch in the waterfall and you'll see the roots. Pretty plant though. View attachment 158352
After you grew them in the pot with soil, how did you move them to the waterfall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
After you grew them in the pot with soil, how did you move them to the waterfall?
After they were a few inches I put them in gravel for a month or two then it started spreading everywhere and I just grabbed a chunk and stuck it between the rocks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
After they were a few inches I put them in gravel for a month or two then it started spreading everywhere and I just grabbed a chunk and stuck it between the rocks.
You put them in gravel **outside of the pond** for a month or two and then transferred them to the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
I found watercress at a grocery store in the organic produce section. Came bagged with roots. I divided the plant 3 ways and planted in pea gravel in lily baskets I bought at H. depot, and they took off within a couple weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The easiest way to grow watercress is to get it from your local produce department. I have got both bunches as well as the bagged. Just stick the stems in the water. It roots in less than a week. Not sure about growing from seed . If you can get them to grow in the media you have, then just transfer to the pond. Mine is in the gravel of my bog as well as floating.
That’s what I did. Now that they have sprouted some good root, I made a floating net that I stuck them through. The stems are about 6+” long and they make the plant lay sideways. Is this ok?

Ask a Question