How to keep string algae away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My crazy sister in AZ tried to tell me that string algae is dangerous for koi, they try to eat it and then they "strangle on the stuff". I told her that's crazy, string algae has been in waterways for centuries! So, now you know that the operative word there is "crazy". Glad to hear she was out in left field (again) on this one as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When it invaded my arizona pond, trees of the stuff grew out of the bottom muck. It just looks bad does not really bother the fish. I had rocks going down into the pond at the stream, those pretty rocks, could not see as the muck covered them and the string algae did grow up out of it.
The pond got yucky, I was working too many hours. But after that string algae attack got out the net and scooped the bottom until most of the muck was gone. Once that stuff started growing it took off. I used some peroxide to get help kill it off.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Took jw's idea and tested the tap waters ph- 7.2. Added some kitty litter and waited 2 hours, ph 8. so maybe there is something going on there. Anyway I cleared out what I could with a plastic fan rake (made for kids) and now that water temps are above 50 the koi are cleaning out the rest. Anyone have a recipe for frog legs? One of my big bull frogs made it thru trhe winter. He and his friends ate some of my baby koi last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Funny, Mrs. Clem. You need to sell your frog tads to those who are begging for some, that way you make money, they don't eat your baby koi. :) And, I think Addy said that her pond stayed at 7, but her water was in the 5's when put in, so the clay may have raised it that much. I have high PH water from my well, so think I'll be careful how much I use in my pond, too, until I know for sure.
Maybe I'll leave Grand Daddy Bullfrog in the road ditch again this year, if he doesn't find my pond, so he doesn't eat any baby fish. But, I had just the right amount of baby goldfish from last year. I think I had 10 babies survive, and that's plenty. As it is, I'll be making a new separate pond for the goldies this year, and maybe there will be more babies survive, without the koi, maybe not! But, at least I will know which babies are koi and which are goldies ... next year anyhow, since I have not started the dig yet, and I'm sure the goldies will spawn before I get them moved.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bullfrogs will eat anything they can catch and fit in their mouth, they have no pickieness!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have pulled the netting down so once he is out he won't be able to get back in. I would like to have some small koi to sell this year. Found some interesting tracks in the mud behind the pond. Looked like small hand prints with claws, racoons maybe so will invest in a trap and see what I can catch.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
mrsclem let us know now if your pond stays at 7 or so w/o the kitty litter. I will check my pond and do the test w/ my water too. Maybe different clays from different area's have different ph? Anybody else that tests should post also if they have kitty litter in their ponds.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well water 5.6, pond filled with well water 7 ish. lots of kitty litter in the plant pots. Water changes, rain and well, both are low ph.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Aha, so perhaps if one has lo well or tap water then the kitty litter will do you well and if you have a higher ph it will raise it a bit. You can counteract the raise maybe by adding the crushed oyster shells before adding the kitty litter to keep it at the before level. Not knowing if that will work but wondering? Might be worth trying if you are trying to get rid of the string algae and wanting to plant your plants in it. A ph of 8 isn't going to hurt the fish either from what I've heard.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i added the oyster shells also, put them in the bog where a lot of water flow occurred. When I first started up the pond the ph went up and down a lot, wiped out my test feeder fish. For the past summer it stayed pretty stable, always in the 7 range.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And you've got the kitty litter in there constantly so looks like it's fine for you addy. My fish all seem fine and like I said before haven't checked my water ph since last Spring but was doing fine then. We get lots of rain here and it is ph7 so continually refreshes the pond. Only place I have string algae is in one of my plant rings and thinking it's in there cuz no kitty litter in there and all the screen holes are pretty filled up w/ algae so kitty litter material bits from the pond isn't getting sent in there. Now have a hose sending water in that one but prolly too late to ward off the algae cuz of such a heavy build up. I'll prolly clean the algae outta there and throw it to the fishes in the Spring to eat and start over w/ that ring and keep the hose flowing pond water in there and see what happens.

Reaction score
Years ago... I was house hunting and I toured a house that had 2" shag carpet on all the walls, as if that was not enough it was imperial red. It made a statement about the owner... but I passed on that house, it just wasn't my demographic.

Looking at my pond this weekend brought back that memory. We have had a warm snap and I have not brushed walls since late summer. I had grown 2" shag all over my pond walls and pipes. Sweeping it off made a huge mess so I went to the 99 cent store and bought 2 quarts of hydrogen peroxide for 2 bucks. I removed my potted plants and added the hydrogen peroxide slowly to my gravity return feed of of my bio filters to maximize the mixing. after 2days it was crystal clear. no more green groovy shag. My pond is 2365 gal and I like any $2 fix. I can't see any negative effect on my Koi, (but they do not like the brush very much) .

My thought on the stream issue:
If you stop your stream early morning and sprayed rocks with a concentrated hydrogen peroxide solution and let it sit for a few hours. hydrogen peroxide will oxidize string algae and sun will neutralize over spray.
You will know it working because algae turns gray within minutes and the peroxide bubbles. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down to water and and oxygen . When you turn on your stream the dead algae will was out after a while.
you may need to rinse, lather, repeat.

I am not a chemist, vet, or any intellectual heavyweight, but "the internet makes everyone and expert!" (source: Wikipedia)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used it a lot in my arizona pond, it does work great, never bothered the fish and sure cleared up that green stuff. Have not had the issue here yet.... knock on wood

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So maybe mixing in some peroxide would be a good thing when I start up my waterfall, huh? Now, I wonder, is it not good for plants, I assume, since it kills the algae? I have lilies in my pond, and parrots feather in the waterfall pool. I want to get rid of my shag carpet to an extent, but not if it will harm the plants. I'm thinking it's ok for the plants, though, as everyone has plants, right?
Fish were all topside again this evening, not really swimming around, just enjoying the warmer water at the top. Temp was about 48, but by morning it dips back down to 45. No feeding going to happen for quite a while yet.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My plants did not see to be bothered by the peroxide, in arizona. Here is a net link for using in the garden, have not read it yet, but looks interesting.

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-garden.html

of course all true scientific data............. read at your own risk disclaimer as all internet information is true and accurate.

Ask a Question