addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I treated my arizona pond, I put in 1 liter per 1000 gallons. I did read that ratio on a lot of sites before doing it. Will see if I can find the links for you later.

Green water is caused by the presence of phytoplankton or algae. There are many species of algae, some are suspended, single-cell organisms while others are filamentous or form "strings". Neither type is noted for directly creating health problems for fish but cause problems with water clarity and the overall appearance of the pond. As a result many persons attempt to eliminate the algae by a variety of methods. A few of the methods that have been used for both suspended algae and string algae are listed below in no particular order of preference. Regardless of the approach you may find that you ultimately must deal with reducing the nutrients that fuel the algae growth cycle. Norm Meck has written an excellent article regarding green water and algae control. You can access this article by entering [ "green water" "norm meck" myths facts theories sequel] exactly as shown within the square brackets into your favorite search engine.
1. Barley straw: Doses of barley straw (tied in a net bag and suspended in the pool, waterfall, etc.) have been reported to be successful for suspended algae when using 4-6 oz./1000 gallons. The use of dosages that are double what is typically called for (around 1/2-1 pound per 1000 gallons) is supposedly adequate for string algae. This may take a week to several weeks to work depending on the water temperature.
2. Some people add one pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 1000 gallons. This is said to not have any significant impact on plants or fish and is reported to work well on both suspended and string algae. The only potential problem is that if you have massive amounts of string algae you may create a very large oxygen demand so physically remove as much as possible before trying this method - this caution cannot be over emphasized. It may be necessary to have an aerator ready to put in the water or, for small ponds, it might be better to remove some of the water and the fish to a temporary holding tank until the dissolved oxygen returns to safe levels. Adding hydrogen peroxide, while effective in removing algae, will essentially result in re-dissolving the nutrients which contributed to the algae growth in the first place.
3. Provide 60% or greater coverage to minimize light availability. While this has been one of the recommended approaches for some years there is some evidence (see algae web-article by Norm Meck) that indicates that this might not work effectively.
4. Upgrade your filtration system to help remove nutrients. Several people on this and other sites have commented that Trickling Towers (TT) seem to eliminate algae (both suspended and string varieties).
5. Physical removal for string algae. Get a toilet bowl brush, straighten it out and strap it onto a pole. Then wind the string algae up like spaghetti. This is an effective method for small amounts of string algae and for small to moderate sized ponds. The removal of the algae from the pond will also serve to remove the nutrients that originally created the algae growth.

more

Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is a naturally occurring liquid similar to water but containing two molecules of hydrogen and two of oxygen. Hydrogen peroxide has long been used as a disinfectant to destroy bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

Natural Algaecide

Using hydrogen peroxide in a pond to remove algae blooms is a natural and safe method to control algae infestations and preserve other aquatic life in the pond. Chemical algaecides, on the other hand, destroy life indiscriminately and can harm or kill fish and other plants.

Process

A mixture of 35 percent hydrogen peroxide can be acquired from any pond supply store. It will kill most algae infestations when poured into a pond. Remember to monitor the pond, as a sudden die off of algae will cause the oxygen levels in the water to decrease significantly.

Reaction score
The first time I used Hydrogen peroxide (Standard 3% solution) I poured directly into pond near some of my plants. "Leaf" areas of parrot feather that were splashed turned yellow for a week or so and recovered. The white tedrilous roots of the floating Parrot feather turned black and there was a marked retardation of growth. I would note that this application was done mid summer. I would suspect it would have minimal effect in early applied in spring. Less competition from and the the released nutrients of the decaying Algae will help kick start your plants.

I found that if I adding any chemicals is best done thru my trickle up filter return. The return rate of that pipe is 1500-2000 gallons and hour, so I get good mix. my guess for a plant safe application dip a 5 gallon bucket and add about a cup of peroxide per bucket. distribute to a wide area.

If you have a lot of algae I would recommend diligence in water monitoring to protect your Koi and/or Goldies . I noticed a minor increase in nitrogen after a couple of days. I uped my normal trickle water exchange to minimize the the nitrogen.

disclaimer... "I know it's true because I saw it on a YouTube comment"

Reaction score
I treated my pond with 2 quart containers of 3% hydrogen peroxide. My pond is just over 2200 gallons.

I have seen much higher doses recommended but the recommendation of 1 quart per 1000 gal was what I found most.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Happy to report the string algae is gone! Pulled a lot of it out and starting the bog back up. Water temps are over 50 so the little eating machines are feasting on anything they can find.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great mrsclem! I think my hungry lil bog is eating everything the algae needs to live on. I have none and we have had warm sunny days.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I started mine up yesterday the algae that was in the creek in the fall was gone, it must have just dried up and turned to dirt and blown away during the winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My stream is still off, the little ponds have collected some leaves and junk that i need to clean out. Keep it out of the big pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Todd, when I was moving my waterfall rocks around, I found lots of the algae dried up on it, and some of it brushed off, while some was still firmly attached, and I had to really rub to remove it. I'm hoping the rest of it is gone, as I cleaned the rocks, and I plan to use the peroxide in my pond to try to get rid of the longer stuff. What I'm wondering though, will it kill ALL the algae, including what is on the liner walls, or even if it does, can I assume that it will grow back pretty fast? I have removed most of the string algae, but there is a section that I cannot get to easily, and although people say use a toilet brush, with what I have, if I can't grab it and pull it free, it just winds and winds and never comes undone, at least for the most part. I will get as much as I can removed before I treat. FIRST I have to get the darn filter and waterfall/fountain running. That's my mission for tomorrow, but supposed to be cold and windy, darn it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We are all trying to get rid of the algae, maybe we should be collecting it and eating it? Who knows maybe it's good for ya or maybe it would make a good face mask treatment!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are all trying to get rid of the algae, maybe we should be collecting it and eating it? Who knows maybe it's good for ya or maybe it would make a good face mask treatment!

Give it a try jw and let us know what happens, you can be our test bunny

Reaction score

My dogs think string algae is the greatest treat since peanut butter!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe I'll do a facial on the cats w/ it as I know how much they would enjoy it :twisted:

Ask a Question