How Would You Filter It?

Reaction score
Hoping to get the fence in this week, im going the fishless cycle and Im still deciding between 25 feet long three feet tall or 50x4, how long does it usually take to build up the bacteria.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not as much surface area as the strapping, but it should help

Reaction score
I don't know how well it will work, but for the same volume of material, the thinner the fiber, the more surface area. Assuming the 0.08 in is the diameter of the line, that's about 2mm. So the circumference of the line is about 6 mm. Bacteria are on the order of a micrometer long, so it would take about 6000 bacteria end-to-end to reach around that line. I don't know how smooth it looks to a bacterium, but it doesn't look like it does to us.

On the other hand, it takes a lot of line to get the same volume as the strapping that would fill your filter, and that's going to get expensive. I got some cheap plastic rope, cut it up and frayed it for my filter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cheap plastic rope, great idea! and that stuff never rots.......lots of surface area

Reaction score
The rope idea came from Zipper in this thread. I bought some plastic clothesline in the dollar store ($1), and have that in my little flowerpot filter along with lots of other stuff,. I got a much thicker blue rope at Harbor Freight on sale for about $3. I'm still cutting that up. I'm in no hurry because I don't need the big filter until I finish the new pond. And that is going slowly. I think you could stuff a filter for less than $20.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Keep in mind that with a 20 gallon filter, the water will have to move slowly to get the bio effect. In the 55 gallon drum the water has a lot of time to rise the increased distance to the overflow.

Ask a Question