morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I don't feed them at all. But at night you can see them eating all the mosquito larvae that gather in front of the underwater lights.

Basically, my fry are self-serve.

Eat or be eaten. It's a jungle down there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol If eggs are laid, if they survive being eaten, if they make it to fry, if they make it to fish size, they are the survivors! I don't do anything to try and save any. More than enough survive without any help from me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well I think my fry are all gone. Probably all eaten or they are hiding well. Because none are in the plant basket anymore. :(

I was trying to save some so I can watch them grow and some of my friends want the fry. Oh well, I think in about 2-3 months I'll see if I have any new fish lurking around?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I feed my fry First Bites for the first few weeks
Glad to hear you say that! I'm not quite energetic enough to grow special foods [with the exception of brine shrimp which are easy], so that's what I used last season and am starting with again this year.

Reaction score
how long do the brine shrimp last?
we are finding a liter bottle's worth seems to last a couple of days... we have tried to feed them wheat flour, but are finding they dont seem to survive past the couple of days...
so now i am starting to introduce very small pellets...some of which i grind by hand before giving them to the fry....

Reaction score
Well I think my fry are all gone. Probably all eaten or they are hiding well. Because none are in the plant basket anymore. :(

I was trying to save some so I can watch them grow and some of my friends want the fry. Oh well, I think in about 2-3 months I'll see if I have any new fish lurking around?

Fingers crossed they are just hiding! Keep us updated if they pop up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nepen - don't be surprised to see them show their little fishy faces in the near future. We thought we had 5 or 6 fry survive the "meet and eat" last summer. Imagine our surprise to find we have a dozen or more of the little guys. Now that they are bigger than a mouthful, they are much bolder than they were.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Priscilla and Lisa. I'm wondering how long it'll take for them to grow 'bigger than the mouthful' ;) I cant wait!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Ah, don't give up hope just yet -- they are good at hiding!
how long do the brine shrimp last?
we are finding a liter bottle's worth seems to last a couple of days... we have tried to feed them wheat flour, but are finding they dont seem to survive past the couple of days...
so now i am starting to introduce very small pellets...some of which i grind by hand before giving them to the fry....
About a day or so.

Do you mean wheat germ and not flour, 'cause I don't know if flour is an appropriate food. Or do you mean you feed that to the brine shrimp....?

Also, the very new & smallest fry need teensy foods that will fit in their teensy mouths -- something about the size of flour, so you'd have to crush those pellets pretty fine.

Reaction score
yes, thats what i thought too... and i meant feeding flour to the shrimp - apparently yeast is OK too
we have a few inside and a LOT of fry outside in a large tub... now wondering what to do with them!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
yes, thats what i thought too... and i meant feeding flour to the shrimp - apparently yeast is OK too
we have a few inside and a LOT of fry outside in a large tub... now wondering what to do with them!

OK, I was confused, :) I don't really know how long brine shrimp live, but they ARE "brine" shrimp, so I would imagine that once they go into a fresh water setting, they won't survive that too long. Plus, from what I've read, as far as fry food, they are at their most nutritious state shortly after they hatch [I think it's because they still have their yolk sac -- or whatever], so from that standpoint, I wouldn't worry about trying to keep them alive any longer than they would survive in the tank. Anything you might feed the shrimp will probably only contribute to mucking up the fry tank.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you guys hatch your own brine shrimp or buy it some where?

In Thailand I'd go to the 'aquarium' market and I can buy live brine shrimps and it'll stay alive for a few days to a week. They also sell that red worms thingy that formed a big red balls, live for my fish.. I kinda miss that. Here I don't really know where to get stuff like that.

Reaction score
we hatch our own - part form instructions here on GPF and part from youtube and part from the actual instructions on the shrimp eggs :)
We got ours from Drs Foster Smith - 80% hatch rate - seems to be pretty easy... but we are only being able to keep them alive in their hatching bottle for a couple days... but then again, we are feeding a straw at a time to our fry inside and two straws outside, so i think those outside are getting the bad end of that but they will be moved soon....

heres the link at Drs :
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5005

Ask a Question