I have a bullfrog!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Sure suprised the heck outta me last night. I went to go feed the fish and something jumped in the pond, no big deal, i've had lots of toads lately.

So im laying facedown on my dock, letting the fish eat from my hand and i look up and there is a monster bullfrog hanging out on the other side of the pond just looking at me. of course when i got up to go grab the camera he disappeared, and as the sun sets a big shadow is cast over the pond from the fence, so i couldn't see to the bottom to find him.

I'll have to watch carefully to see if he bothers the fish at all, if they start disappearing, it'll be time to relocate him, hopefully he is happy with the bugs, cuz he is really cool and i'd like to keep him around.

Reaction score
How cool is that??? I remewmber when I first discovered we also had a Bull Frog in our pond. :) Our pond is a converted 24' above ground pool, that out of necessity, we converted into a pond. I love it! :luxlove: At any rate, I saw something sitting in the skimmer and looked a bit further and sure enough, a bit Bull Frog. We aptly named if "Bully" at any rate, it hung out in the skimmer for the longest time when it was not floating in the middle of the pond. Then one day, I noticed it was floating on a special float I had made for it a month or so previously. That was too cool. DH thinks I should find a small plastic palm tree and attach that to the float :LOL: Bully occasionally serenades me with HRmmmm Hrrmmm HRmmm, his throat bulging as he sings. I have also watched him try to catch fish...have lots of goldfish and he is probably the worst hunter of fish! Kind of funny though. Enjoy your BullFrog. I am hoping ours keeps down the fry population, but would be sad if it took on bigger fish.
froggoesfihsing450.gif

:goldfish: On the pic of "Bully" the zip tie ends are left on for Dragonflys to light on. I doubt they will do so when it is occupied by Bully, though. ;)

Attachments

• DSCF5423.JPG
    DSCF5423.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
We've got a dozen awesome jungle frogs in our pond. A dozen that we can see any way, that probably means we have 50 in the area at any given time that are hiding. They only very rarely croak, I'll try to get a picture of one I'd really like to identify them.

Reaction score
I have seen a photo of a bull frog swallowing a large goldfish before, not photoshopped! I have tried to raise bull frogs from tadpoles in my pond but the fish got em first...kinda ironic.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Here he is! I caught him last night and walked across the street and put him in the ditch over there, he will probably be back though, there wasnt much water in the ditch, and i hear bullfrogs can travel up to 6 miles every few weeks to find water.

frog31.jpg

frog11.jpg

frog21.jpg

Reaction score
AWWwwww he is a big guy! Best of Luck to him! :razz: My Green Frog appeared in my pond last night after not being sighted for 2 weeks! Here he is floating.

In the secong picture, he had already left the floating planter, but if you are able to enlarge and scroll, you may be able to see "Bully" in the background near the 2nd blue planter to the right of the reflection. He did a lot of serenading last night.;) Seems to serenade more when the other frog is in the pond.BTW, there is a thread just for frogs in this forum. I wonder if this could be moved to that?

:goldfish:

Attachments

• DSCF5445.JPG
    DSCF5445.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCF5446.JPG
    DSCF5446.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 281

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
99 I think the bullfrog had a worried look on his face when you were holding him up in front of that bbq!
Putting him only as far as across the street? Heck he'll be back for dinner :LOL:

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
it was late, i wasn't going any further than across the street. I kept looking out the window, expecting to see him hopping back across the road.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
We got 2 bull frogs so far. We started out with one bull frog tad. Now we have 2 small bull frogs and another tad. Ours haven't tried to eat the fish since most of the fish are bigger than they are, but the rosies are fair game. We still have a bunch of toads hanging out around the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I may have some bull frogs, When the pond turns cold, they go to the bottom to hibernate, if I scoop out frogs this year any under water are bull frogs, the green frogs hibernate on land. I might move them along to other digs, i.e. the river near us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I may have some bull frogs, When the pond turns cold, they go to the bottom to hibernate, if I scoop out frogs this year any under water are bull frogs, the green frogs hibernate on land. I might move them along to other digs, i.e. the river near us.

Addy, from what I've read, green frogs hibernate either on land OR in water, so be careful next autumn!

http://www.uri.edu/cels/nrs/paton/LH_green_frog.html
http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/Rana_clamitans/
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...n-frog-–-typical-pond-frog-of-the-usa-part-2/

Michael

Ask a Question