Ich?!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Yeah spawning time is a pain. I just woke up this morning and saw a big chunk of scales removed off my pretty black/red (red, not orange) ryukin by a male chasing her last night. That was an expensive fish. :mad:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yeah spawning time is a pain. I just woke up this morning and saw a big chunk of scales removed off my pretty black/red (red, not orange) ryukin by a male chasing her last night. That was an expensive fish. :mad:

Spawning can get quite violent. How many Male fish do you estimate that you have? The two (2) females could experience quite a rough time with too many males.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Spawning can get quite violent. How many Male fish do you estimate that you have? The two (2) females could experience quite a rough time with too many males.

In my pond I know I have at least 3 females and 5 males of 23 goldfish. The rest I'm unsure of their gender. This morning the fish were flying around the pond chasing each other like crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would really like to have a one sex pond, but honestly, I don't know which are male and which are female!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The funniest thing today was watching the 9" shubunkin male (The Emperor of the Pond) chasing another fish (im not sure of its gender) and swiming so fast and whacking the 2" tiny lionhead with its tail. The lionhead whirled a 360 belly over back and back again. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks to me that you are seeing breeding stars on the gill cover of a male fish ( they can sometimes also be seen along the leading ray of the pectoral fins) You may not have seen them prior to this year if the fish were young (they develop them at sexual maturity)

Ask a Question