Indoor/outdoor pond/greenhouse combination

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What distance does the wall need to span over the pond and how thick does your ice get?
The ice on the pond gets usually a couple of inches thick
We haven't figured out the exact dimensions of either one (gh or pond) because we're still discussing location, but we know for sure that the gh will be at least 12x16 and the pond no less than 6000gls

What about a vinyl flap, would that work better in the water than the polycarb panel? We could make it removable?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
A flexible flap would work, you would need a way to easily remove/service it.
Maybe with some sliding barn door hardware.
The wall that extends over the pond will need to sit on a header, like a large window or garage door framed opening.
The header may need to be substantial, depending on the size of your greenhouse and snow load rating for your area.
It's a doable plan, it will just take some imagination and a contractor that thinks outside the box.
If you're going to do it yourself, it's still doable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's a doable plan,
I like the sound of that!
...but no contractors, I've made that mistake once, this time we're doing all ourselves
My husband works in engineering, he should know about footings and headers
Thank you so much for all your help and Tips!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Check with your local bylaws as well. Some areas have restrictions around how large a garden shed or greenhouse can be before they require a permit.
If you can design the greenhouse as a "pergola" with removable walls, for instance, you may not need a permit at all.
Good luck!(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, we got the area cleaned up and after more than an hour trying to figure out the layout of this project, we have come to the sad conclusion that it just might not work out!

We have a lot of room, but it's too chopped up due to the irregular shape of our deck, and the garage creating shade and so on ....we could move out away from the house, but that would defeat the purpose, or we could squeeze it in somewhere, but we value the open space too much and it just wouldn't look good....all this planing was a waste of time, I guess I'll have to choose one or the other...I'm so bummed out about it!
smsad.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know what your budget is but you might want to call in a landscape designer for ideas.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, we got the area cleaned up and after more than an hour trying to figure out the layout of this project, we have come to the sad conclusion that it just might not work out!

We have a lot of room, but it's too chopped up due to the irregular shape of our deck, and the garage creating shade and so on ....we could move out away from the house, but that would defeat the purpose, or we could squeeze it in somewhere, but we value the open space too much and it just wouldn't look good....all this planing was a waste of time, I guess I'll have to choose one or the other...I'm so bummed out about it! View attachment 105609

crying-emoticon-293.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well darn......I was living vicariously through you - LOL !
Believe me I feel bad for disappointing all of you, specially those that invested time to help me figure things out

@Nyboy unfortunately a professional landscaper would have the same tape measure we used, this project just doesn't fit where we wanted it to.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So does this mean that you still get both but they can't be attached? Or do you really have to decide on only one? Maybe add onto your other pond somehow to make it bigger. Other wise you just may have to move :whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So does this mean that you still get both but they can't be attached? Or do you really have to decide on only one? Maybe add onto your other pond somehow to make it bigger. Other wise you just may have to move :whistle:
I can still get both but not in a combo! If I would to build the original plan, everything would be so cramped up it would leave very little options for landscape and although I would have loved to have the indoor outdoor pond, it just would not be as neat as the one I pictured in my head

So I think we are knocking down the lower deck and build the pond there, and the greenhouse will have to go a bit away from the house

kinda suck, unfortunately the chicken coop in in the way!

Ask a Question