It's 70 degrees outside but I already stopped feeding my goldfish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm in a similar situation except I shut my main filter down almost 4 weeks ago with a temp of 49 degrees. It has slowly climbed. This morning, 4 weeks later, the temp is 62. I'm amazed. I have my Savio skimmer going which will go all winter long .... but if I feed them mildly now with non protein food, won't I still have an ammonia build up? Even 3 times a week, lightly? I don't think the Savio with take care of much ammonia. Currently all testing levels are perfect. HELLLPPPP !!!!
You would likely be surprised at how many Nitrifying bacteria have survived in the filter biofilm after 4 weeks, but even ignoring this fact you still have the rest of the submerged surfaces in your pond that is also colonized. Also keep in mind that at lower water temps un-ionized Ammonia levels are well within the 'safe' range.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Meyer ... I just don't want to kill them with kindness. Ran out back and just gave them about 2 water soaked hand fulls of Honeynut Cheerios. I'll keep an ammonia check and see where these temps take us. In all my years, I don't recall anything like this after closing down my main filter. Thanks for the reinforcement, Meyer....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We humans have habituated ourselves to behaving according to some form of schedule based on time when nature behaves according to events. For example, we have a 'First day of Winter' which occurs every year on Dec 21 or 22 in the Northern Hemisphere. Nature has no such demarcation as too many variables are involved. The closing down of ponds at the same time each year is, in truth, no more than a gamble that involves flirting with disaster. This is becoming more apparent as Climate Change becomes more noticeable.
I am not a Northern latitude pondkeeper, so I feel that I can be objective. It seems to me that the logical time to close a pond down would be at the first sign of persisting ice. This may not be convenient but seems to be more concurrent with Nature.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
As you said, you're not a northern latitude pondkeeper. Try shutting down a pond (or 30 of them) once the freeze sets in.
The calendar dictates it up here, the weather can change overnight, rendering you helpless. Frozen lines, frozen skimmers, frozen filters...........I'll live with it.

If you want to flirt with disaster, wait until the freeze sets in and then try to close your ponds.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As you said, you're not a northern latitude pondkeeper. Try shutting down a pond (or 30 of them) once the freeze sets in.
The calendar dictates it up here, the weather can change overnight, rendering you helpless. Frozen lines, frozen skimmers, frozen filters...........I'll live with it.

If you want to flirt with disaster, wait until the freeze sets in and then try to close your ponds.
As a fellow contractor I fully appreciate what you are saying. I was speaking more to the individual pondkeeper, such as barryian, that can work more closely with Nature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As a fellow contractor I fully appreciate what you are saying. I was speaking more to the individual pondkeeper, such as barryian, that can work more closely with Nature.

No doubt @Meyer, waiting till true signs of the cold setting in are a good idea, especially that it shortens the koi's winter season, a good thing. I was selfishly thinking of myself as this year, more than draining the filter, I did a number on cleaning. Doing that outside with the hose in 25 degree weather would have been arduous. Keeping the hose line available, turning the water on/off etc. I've done it many a time and was trying to escape the cold this year which never came. Could have waited until 12/31. Who knew? Last Winter was ubiquitous and burnt into my soul ...lol ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Weather forecasting today is accurate enough to allow for at least seven (7) days advance warning.

Well, Look at this! It's crazy !!!
Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 5.27.43 PM.png

Ask a Question