Just lurking for ideas

Reaction score
Keep in mind the size of the pump will also effect the needed basin size. If you can picture a 500 GPH pump there would be a trickle of water in the stream. With 5000 gph there would be a lot more water in the stream.

There is the option to build several pondless streams instead of one. The result can look exactly the same, but each reservoir can be much smaller. You'd need one pump per reservoir, which means running electric, but you can switch to using low head pumps which are cheaper than the high head plumps to run. Also, if (when) you have a leak it's easier to track down. You can also use different size pumps on each section to get different effects.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[sup]I like that idea addy!! What size line do you use and is it PVC or otherwise? Pictures????[/sup]

[sup]Doug[/sup]

I used ppl 36 from bend tarp and liner, a company in oregon, my favorite liner, really tough stuff. The stream liner came as 90 foot long 9 foot wide, but due to our switch backs I had to cut it into shorter pieces, no way to make it one long run. Each drop in level before a turn I have over lap from the higher leg to the lower leg with different sizes of fishless ponds at each turn. Our drop is around 20 feet more or less and 25 degrees.

We are happy with the stream flow, not a gusher but it works for us.

Glad you like our build, it was fun, but sure tiring carrying all those rocks up that slope. I was in great shape! lol, legs like rocks

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Doug there are also pumps out there that have a switch on them for low volume to high volume if you want to keep some of it going all the time and other times if you want a much more dramatic effect with your stream. I was looking at where you were going to put it in that natural basin; my question is do you currently get a lot of run off in that spot from the surrounding area where this could be a potential problem down the road with that water getting into your stream when it rains and mucking it up? Also keep in mind when you are digging the depth if you are going to line it with rocks and how thick those rocks are going to be as that will take away some of your depth and you may need to dig deeper to get the look you are looking for, without it looking like it is a raised stream bed. Some folks don't think about that when they are digging that the rocks will take up some space.

Welcome to the forum.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I made mine 12 plus inches deep, the depth shrank as you add the underlayment, the liner, rocks etc. So dig it deep to begin with

Reaction score
welcome
postmandug

that sounds like quite the project and addys layout would have been the one i would have suggested as well.. also thinking that using check valve or valves would allow you to have a minimal catch basin as at least half of the water will be left in the pipe going up to top of falls.. might be some trial and error to find minimum amount of water needed to run falls so pump doesn't run dry

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the "Welcomes" and the replies. Tmann, since you're only about 80 miles away I could use the consultation if you could use the beer and a T-bone!!!!! Yes that natural drainage is really what has me concerned and the reason I've waited so many years to even consider this project. I'd say on average it really floods down thru there about once a year; twice at the most. During normal rains (God I wish we had one of those about now) there is little to no runoff.

Doug

Here's a side view pic from June 2010. The original plan was to start about 5-6 feet to the right of where the photo ends and end at the last stone bed you see in the pic on the left. I may shorten it a bit to save money on the liner and plumbing. I plan on it being a year or more long project simply because I want to do it right and make it look like Mother Nature put it there, not me....

Attachments

• June 2010 Pre Garden Tour 042.jpg
    June 2010 Pre Garden Tour 042.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 189
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! I look forward to seeing the build and completed stream. The area in the pictures is perfect for what you are describing. It will look very natural.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love that hill in your back yard for a pond and love the natural look it will have with all that back drop ,how can you loose .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Postmandug I know what consultation means, one minute we would be discussing the layout of the creek and the next I would have a shovel in hand digging! :razz: I did have an idea that you could do, it is something similar to what I have done just not on the slope you have. Take and run a 4" or two 4" drain pipes (depending on how much water runs through there on the largest of rains) under the creek bed you are going to build and run them 10' or so beyond the edge of your creek or catch basin. I had to do this with my pond as it sits directly in the middle of where my rainwater travels from one side of the yard to the other. You have a decent slope and where mine is there is hardly any slope at all, maybe 6" from one side of the creek/pond to the other. I believe this would work for you. At the top you could just build a very small area to divert the water to those pipes. I would use as big a pipe as possible b/c you don't want to have to be clearing them of debris like leaves and stuff. I used a 3" pipe b/c that is all I could get to work and the entry point will at times clog with some debris slowing the water down and creating a small damning effect on the other side of my pond.

I would still put the pond in the gully as it will look very natural and work with getting the rainwater around or under it through the pvc pipes.

Reaction score
Had already thought about running a pipe either under or beside it. May dig a good hole above where the weir will be and insert something like a 100 gallon stock tank and tapping into it with the 4" drainage pipe then making some kind of cover from hardware cloth to keep leaves and debris out of it. Consultation with a shovel?? Don't think so!!! I'm going to have to rent a mini backhoe on this. That gully and actually my whole hillside has a ton of sandstone in it. No way to dig it by hand. I will do the final shaping and contouring by hand though. Moving this conversation to the DIY thread where it should be, but again thanks to all for the input and encouraging words!

Doug

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you may be better with the piping along side your creek as you never know what might go wrong with it .My neighbor used pool hose and it has worked pretty good for 3 years now .If you get a leak then it will be a lot harder to find if it is under your creek and you will be driving your self crazy trying to find a leak .Been there done that . :razz:

Ask a Question