kansas pond started

Reaction score
the Laguna Max-Flo 2400 I'm planning to use has an out put of 1.5 in that why i was going with that for the inlet size for the stock tank but I guess i can upgrade to a 2in pipe. my real question was if a 2 in pipe coming out of the shower drain would be big enough. or i need to find another way to build a weir. the 2in coming out of the filter will go to a Savio 16" Water Weir as that is the size pipe it uses. thanks for the help. i got some more digging done today and the first row of cender blocks for the wall set in place to check the size and look. still need to dig the foundation for the wall.

Reaction score
why are you using a submersible pump with the set up you're describing? you'd be better off with an external INMO. But you could upsize to 2" from the 1.5. I've clamped 2" flex tubing onto the 1.5 of a laguna.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you want to move that much water out of your filter the 2" wont be enough
Do you have enough room to bolt 2 - 4" toilet flanges together and have 1 - 4" outlet ?
That what you need

Reaction score
DrCase said:
If you want to move that much water out of your filter the 2" wont be enough
Do you have enough room to bolt 2 - 4" toilet flanges together and have 1 - 4" outlet ?
That what you need

I'm not sure what you mean by bolting two 4' flanges together. if the one shower drain isn't going to be enough ill just add another and have it come out somewhere else.

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
I would think twice about filling the blocks with clay. I realize what you are trying to accomplish My concern is the clay retains a lot of moisture and when it freezes there's a chance it will crack the block. If you can, use sand it won't retain moisture like clay does

Reaction score
jethro13 said:
I would think twice about filling the blocks with clay. I realize what you are trying to accomplish My concern is the clay retains a lot of moisture and when it freezes there's a chance it will crack the block. If you can, use sand it won't retain moisture like clay does

that is true i will have to think about that. of course the blocks will have a cap on them so rain and pond water won't get in. So I'm not sure how much moisture will get in in the first place. Also the ground is all clay so even if its filled with sand and drains down its clay and still no where for it to go. but this is a new construction neighborhood and there are sand piles everywhere i could get some if i need it. Hmm i hadn't thought of it freezing and the clay expanding to brake the cender blocks. Anyone else have any experience or ideas?

Reaction score
Good start! You're just about where I was back in October. As the Dr. said, you'll definitely need more than a single 2" outlet on the filter. The pump output may only be 1.5" but it is pressurized, so it forces much more flow into a small diameter pipe.

Reaction score
undrtkr_00 said:
Good start! You're just about where I was back in October. As the Dr. said, you'll definitely need more than a single 2" outlet on the filter. The pump output may only be 1.5" but it is pressurized, so it forces much more flow into a small diameter pipe.

yea i was afraid of that but no big deal i haven't built any of that part of the pond yet so i can change it around.

Reaction score
New pictures

I got More digging done and the first layer of blocks in place for the wall just set in place still no foundation work done. also stuck the 150GL stock tank in place.

Attachments

• IMG00097 (Large).jpg
    IMG00097 (Large).jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG00098 (Large).jpg
    IMG00098 (Large).jpg
    150 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG00099 (Large).jpg
    IMG00099 (Large).jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG00100 (Large).jpg
    IMG00100 (Large).jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 272
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
I can't tell, but are your blocks just laying on the dirt or are they on a concrete collar?

right now they are just sitting in the dirt. I wanted to see if i planned it correctly and how it would all fit together. I still need to build the foundation.

Reaction score
nigil said:
Are you referring to the clean out drain or the drain being used as a exit for the actual waterfall?

I'm talking about the output of the filter not the clean out drain. but I might have found a place in town to get sheets of stainless steal and if i can I'll build the weir out of that and attach it like koiguy1969 did on his.

Reaction score
You cold use 2- 2 inch shower drains, there should be more than enough room for them next to each other. My stock tank has a 9 inch weir on it, so two 3inch hole for the drains should work. Looking good!

Reaction score
nigil said:
You cold use 2- 2 inch shower drains, there should be more than enough room for them next to each other. My stock tank has a 9 inch weir on it, so two 3inch hole for the drains should work. Looking good!

yes if i cant get the material to build the weir then ill go with the drains. what did you use for your weir?

Ask a Question