kansas pond started

Reaction score
i have heard a lot of good things on this site about sequence pumps so i found one that might work it is the Sequence 750 4200SEQ12 it uses 160 Watts but should give a flow at 3 ft of head of about 3500GPH in stead of the 2000GPH i was planning with the submersible pump. i found a 6" Strainer/priming pot with 2in inlet and output that would go inline from the BD to the pump and so i wouldn't have to worry to much about larger things going thru the pump. so it would go BD => 6" Strainer/priming pot => sequence 750 4200GPH pump => 150GL stock tank filter. that would bring my retention time in the filter down from 4.5min to 2.5 min. is that enough?

Reaction score
oh, my friend, you could do a Sequence 750 that will give you more gph for only 160-180 w. At the end of the day, external pumps are more efficient and cost less to run. You don't need to get fancy with your system at all, and can have a leaf trap in front going to your stock tank. That's how I have my current pond set up.

Yes, PM DoDad, he can get you a sequence for a great price. THey are marvelous pumps. Yes, you would do great with that pump. I have the 4200 on my current pond, and it's a fab pump.

DoDad, where are you? This gentleman needs help with a sequence pump!

Reaction score
now if i have to take the pump inside for the winter how do u keep the pond going? it still needs some water movement, right? with the submersible pump i was planning to leave it running just like it is all winter. but maybe that's a bad idea anyway.

Reaction score
You can keep an external running all winter if you like. If anything, it's much harder to keep a sumbersible going in the winter (tho plenty of folks do it). Most of us just shut our ponds down for the winter months. You drop an air line in and attach to an air pump for a little oyygen exhchange and to keep a hole open in case the top freezes over. You throw a net over it so that you don't get leaves and debris in, and that's it.

You can read our winter threads if you are interested in finding out what happens during the colder months.

Reaction score
jason081180 said:
yea there was about 8-10in of water in the pond after the last bit of rain.

Hah, my pond (well, pre-pond hole) looked like that for a lot of the winter:

DSCN2520.jpg

What a mess! Not very fun to work in.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
You can keep an external running all winter if you like. If anything, it's much harder to keep a sumbersible going in the winter (tho plenty of folks do it). Most of us just shut our ponds down for the winter months. You drop an air line in and attach to an air pump for a little oyygen exhchange and to keep a hole open in case the top freezes over. You throw a net over it so that you don't get leaves and debris in, and that's it.

You can read our winter threads if you are interested in finding out what happens during the colder months.

i think I'll try it your way with just the air stone during the winter. I do remember reading about that. i guess i need to get a air pump then as well. i have plenty from aquariums but i guess that wouldn't work to well?

Reaction score
Aquarium pumps are no good for this task. Needs to be something that can stand being outside in cold weather ans super hot weather.

I have a Dolphin AV-50 that I bought last year for $90 bucks plus shipping. I'll let it go for $70. I also have the stainless steel William Lim 10-barb airline hose fitting for it that I bought for $20 bucks and I'll throw that in for free. I've got two aeration discs that I can also send your way at no cost. They just need to be scrubbed with a stiff brush. Airline hose too for Free. Package deal for $70 bucks plus cheapest shipping I can send it.

Only used it one season. I had to buy a much larger one for my new pond to drive air into the aerated bottom drains. The Dolphin is a good pump. You just need to cover it to protect it from the elements. Good thing about Dolphins is that the diaphram replacement kits are readily available should that ever wear out. Very easy to change out.

Whoever wants it can have it.

Reaction score
what is the air hose? is it like the same thing used in aquariums or is it more heavy duty? does it float on the water surface or is it weighted? any idea how long the airline is? how much cover will this thing need? like keep it totally dry or a little splashed on it will be fine. I'm planning to put it in the box a build for the sequence pump. I'll just make the box a little bigger.

koikeepr - Do you have any pictures of how you have your pump and air supply protected and plumbed up? i would love to see examples from someone that knows what there doing. anyone else as well. How do you protect your external water and/or air pumps?

Reaction score
Ok i have an idea let me know what you all think. I'm thinking of using a Aqua Art Retro-Drain in the middle of my pond plumbed in with 2 in flex hose. i will attach an aeration disc to the top of the BD somehow. then wrap the air line around the 2in flex hose so it doesn't float. would this work as an aerated BD? just an idea.
scratchchin.gif

Reaction score
Looking at your list, The waterfall foam, you can use the great stuff pond and stone. They sell it at Menards on sale its about $6.50 a can ($8 regularly). Its works just as good and can save you a few bucks (you always need more than you think). As for the tubing, I use just basic 2" corrugated pipe ($8-9 per 20ft), no problems with it the last two years and This past winter it got REALLy cold (lows -10). Just a few money savers, that don't really cut corners.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i use hagen aquarium aerater pumps and weighted line both inside and outside and volcanoe stones for my ponds, and filters. and have been for 3 years trouble free you put the air pump in a tupperware container and poke some holes in the bottom, and saet it on a couple stones,or a brick for elevation to allow air flow.

Reaction score
jason081180 said:
Ok i have an idea let me know what you all think. I'm thinking of using a Aqua Art Retro-Drain in the middle of my pond plumbed in with 2 in flex hose. i will attach an aeration disc to the top of the BD somehow. then wrap the air line around the 2in flex hose so it doesn't float. would this work as an aerated BD? just an idea.
scratchchin.gif

Yep, that's exactly how I have it plumbed.

Reaction score
DoDad said:
Yes the airlline will float if not weighted. Trust me I know.

Mine is not weighted. I simpy used a few black zip ties to attach it to my 2" flex pipe. And then the 5" disc just sits on top of it.

Ask a Question