Kill the bullfrog!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Sunset zone 6
Country
United States
I have about a 1000 gal pond with waterfall . . . and a bullfrog. I should killed the damned thing when it was lying dormant in the filter but decided it wasn't quite big enough to eat yet. Now I have black comets on the way to plant in the pond. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of this ravenous monster before he eats up all my new pets?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of this ravenous monster before he eats up all my new pets?

I've had dozens of bullfrogs over the years, many of them large. Only once did I see one go for a fish. Are you sure it's going to be a problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have an assortment of bullfrogs, along with several other species that come, go and/or stay (green, pickerel, wood, tree, etc...) and somehow they all seem to live in balance, along with my fish of various size (including very small - both purchased & 'home grown') I've found that the more you try to fight Mother Nature, the worse things become. Although, I will admit to 'rehoming' a snapping turtle that was decimating my water lilies to a much larger, natural pond in the neighborhood. :sneaky:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I do not agree with killing the frog at all, relocate if you must. Building something that brings wildlife to the area and then kill it is not the right thing to do in my opinion. I have never had a bullfrog eat any of my fish. I have seen them go after birds but never the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Sunset zone 6
Country
United States
You have to understand that bullfrogs in Oregon are not in their natural environment. They don't belong here and are considered a serious invasive pest. Relocation is illegal. Our native frogs and salamanders have not evolved with them and frequently get decimated by the bullfrogs. If the bullfrog leaves the fish alone, wonderful. If a raccoon gets it, even better, or a heron. I've carefully crafted the pond so that the fish should be safe from 'coons and herons. The only predator I'm worried about is the bullfrog.

Reaction score
Easy way to catch them is go out at night with a flashlight. They don’t move under the light.

I periodically get giant bullfrogs come to my pond and get a big worried for my smallest fish but haven’t had any issues yet.... but I have relocated some in the past (native here).

Last year we had a giant one... and during the springtime.. a fledgling robin was hopping around the yard being fed by mom and dad. He hopped right by the pond one evening and that bullfrog snagged him. I got up after my wife yelped that the frog got the bird. The frog was trying to hop back into the water with the bird’s legs and backside hanging out of his mouth. I spooked him enough that he spit the robin back up. All was well. But I went out that night and netted the frog and moved him to a local pond a mile away. If he’ll try for a robin... a 4 in fish is nothing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Sunset zone 6
Country
United States
Now you're talking. I'd read that somewhere and forgot all about it. Of course, this far north, waiting until it's dark enough to need a flashlight is well past my bedtime but let's see if it works. Thanks.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with others very unlikely the bullfrog will get your fish. In about a year or so you will want something to eat your fish to keep your fish population under control.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My brother-in-law had a large bull frog that had a 5" goldfish in its mouth. Luckily, he was quick enough that he grabbed the frog and shook it so it released the fish. He was able to relocate the frog to a marsh near his home. Hard if you can't relocate the frogs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it's possible the bullfrog will go after your fish, especially if it has nothing else to catch and eat. I feel for you - this is what happens when we fool with nature and take things out of the habitat where they have both natural predators and prey. Get yourself a good dog that will hunt them for you - our granddog (he's a Jack Russell) is an intrepid frog hunter. He's nearly choked to death on a couple that he's caught and killed in our backyard. I've had to yank a few big ones out of his throat. (We don't encourage this behavior, but he's quick!)

I love the fact that you decided he was too small to eat - do you really eat them? We used to gig for bullfrogs and cook eat the legs when I was a kid- they were delicious!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@1Oldbear :smuggrin: Hope you can relocate. @sissy on here is always doing that. I've never had the pleasure here. Only small frogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
If the Bullfrog is an invasive species in Oregon as the OP said, KILL THE FROG.
It is Invasive in Arizona also and if one shows up I will do my best to ensure it doesn't move on to breed and decimate our native frogs, toads and salamanders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I agree. Here in California they are considered invasive and have to be dealt with. They threaten native species. Florida has a similar problem with the Cuban Treefrog. In Florida the recommendation is to capture and humanely euthanize. If they are native in your area then it is a different situation.

If the Bullfrog is an invasive species in Oregon as the OP said, KILL THE FROG.
It is Invasive in Arizona also and if one shows up I will do my best to ensure it doesn't move on to breed and decimate our native frogs, toads and salamanders.

Reaction score
I had three living in my pond for the past three or four years with no problem. They grew to a huge size, and mean HUGE. This year they figured out that goldfish were a food source. My goldfish started to disappear and I couldn't catch the frogs. Only option I had left was my trusty.22 pistol loaded with birdshot. I didn't want to kill them but the racoons got a great meal out of it and I've now got a couple smaller ones that moved in to take their place. Now the process starts all over and I'll enjoy my new bullfrogs until they too get huge and decide to put fish on their menu.

Ask a Question