Koi Spawn in Southern California

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I did catch a few eggs on some sticks i laid in the pond..I am going to get a stock tank tomorrow to see if i can raise a few..still have one swelled in the lower pond ...And 5 swelled in the upper pond

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If i shut my eyes ,it smells like i am walking by a fishing pier..the koi in the upper pond are starting to spawn...I put some branches in there ,that they might like.. the koi in the lower pond are after the last ripe one.....My new koi comes this afternoon

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I moved the eggs as soon as i could to my mid. water fall..I got a 100 gal stock tank last night and pumped it full of pond water and moved the eggs to it..they are still going at it this morning,,I got the new male yesterday and he is all ready in the mix

Attachments

• h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 337
  • h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 314

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your water will take a few weeks to return to normal after the orgy is over.

I have so many this year that I need to start planning another pond just for the juviniles. My 5 tanks with conventional filters are not going to support the load as they grow.

Time to build another Bio Filter. Wish I had a nice 30 gallon drum to work with.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I did have a set back this morning , the new stock tank had a crack in it and the water dropped a ft thru the night ,,all is well had to put the eggs back in my mid water fall and get a new tank,,got it back up tonight,,will see what happens

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
wohoo i have babies !!! lots of tiny goldfish very small can hardly see them ..... i know not as exciting as koi but still lovely ... they spawned over 2 weeks ago and had been looking all this time, so was begining to think other fish had eaten them... my pond is 11ft by 6ft and 2ft deep i already have 18 goldfish varies sizes the biggest about 6ins ... i dont want to overcrowd pond so can anyone give me an idea of how many i should have in a pond this size please ?
also my fish seem to be staying on bottom of pond and only coming up in the evening ... i moved a couple of big pot plants near the pond to give some shade could this be the reason ?
love reading on how all your babies are doing :icon_smile:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You have about a 1000 gallons in your pond using your dimensions. With gold fish, I wouldn't worry about overload untill you get several hundred medium sized GF.:goldfish:
Because Koi get so much larger in time, the rules have to be very strict. These rules do not apply to you.:twocents:

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
another question .... i found a plastic bag in my pond this morning blown in over night as we have very strong winds here today ... i fished it out and to my surprise it was coverd in fish eggs ... ive put it in a bucket of pond water ... but should i have left it in pond ? or should i put another one in ..fish are going crazy here this morning

Ask a Question