Laguna pump

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, I've got about a 5000 gal pond. I have 2 Laguna pumps, one up to my waterfall, the other I added on to another filter, question, can I run the 2 pumps into the main line to my waterfall. In other words, can the smaller pump hose connect into the bigger pump where the junction is on the bigger pump?

Reaction score
Can, but I wouldn't. Depends on so many things, pipe size, position of connection, etc... And there's no standard for how so you'd be guessing. You risk water flow doing odd, unexpected things that would reduce flow and/or wear one or both pumps..

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, I appreciate that, I guess I'll just leave my second filter or create another water feature!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 laguna pumps and 1 is the 2400gph and other is the 2900 gph and one hose 1 1/2 in gos to one filter and other 1 1/2 goes to the other filter and spitter and also have a extra hose from the 2400 one to the bottom of the pond with hole drilled in it to help aerate the bottom of the pond
100_7411.JPG
100_7411.JPG
100_7322.JPG
100_7112.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2 pumps are always better than one .If one goes out you are not risking your pond and your fish and 2 filters just make it better .Your welcome ,my pond is 5000 gallons

Reaction score
I'll go one step further on the 2 pumps are better theme...on 2 separate circuits. Often when a pump fails a short is created that trips the breaker. If the other pump is on that breaker...it's down too.

But this is needed only for ponds that need pumps to keep fish alive. That generally is only true for Koi ponds with lots of massive fish for the pond size. Virtually every Water Garden and even most Koi ponds are just fine with no pumps. Gas exchange still continues to happen, just not as well. I would not suggest anyone worry and install a second circuit.

Ask a Question