Late bloomer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Fishincars sent me some irises back in 2011 when I first set up my new pond. Some of them went crazy, growing leaves well over 6 feet tall every year, but they have never actually bloomed. They sure spread like crazy though, and make a great wall along the back edge of the pond...

Well a couple days ago something caught my eye, and I had to look again. Sure enough, there are flowers blooming on one of them! No wait, two... three! There are three flower stems, each with multiple buds. We've had some weird weather this year, kinda jumped from a late Winter to an early Summer. I dunno if that affected them, or they just finally decided to bloom, but it's great to finally see some flowers in the great green wall.

Oh, and they're a strong yellow Louisiana iris, small and delicate, sitting atop some thick 4-5 feet tall stems. I was going to thank fishin, but it looks like he's no longer with us.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sounds like Iris Pseudacorus. They do get huge when they are happy and will really spread fast. Watch them, they can be invasive if not kept in check.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Well they're not crawling out of the water, and I have plenty of other irises on the shore surrounding them, so they won't get far if they do try to escape. :) Yeah every few years I get in there with a shovel and just cut out a big chunk of them. People love it when you freecycle live plants. I've never seen any other iris anywhere that got this tall, but the fish sure love the shelter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Got some pics before the sun went down...

IMG_9122.JPG

IMG_9123.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not late bloomers, perfection bloomers because they like someone said to be happy. Everything here is blooming well. My iris are random. Lillies sleep one day bloom next

Ask a Question