Leopard frogs, anyone?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Got mine in today, I ordered 6 got 8 two for sure are males and very brightly colored! great size and VERY healthy. Mr. Bull frog didn't seem to happy about the two I let go in the bog, guess he has claimed it as home. Two went straight to the lotus and the rest ended up in the pond. It will be intresting, BTW, they were suppose to be two inches, these are actually full adults, head to toe stretched out I would guess they are 6-8"+

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.p...=122&de=845126
You can also email him directly and tell him I recommend you to him. Randy (e-mail address removed) very nice folks and well packaged with cooling water in the box and shipped in a moistened pillow case. I was very pleased with them and if your going to buy live frogs I have to say I was more than pleased with what I got! $1.49 each plus shipping, less than $20 for six frogs including shipping, Not bad priced either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
It's getting up to that time of year again! Anyone found a good source this year for leopard tadpoles? I've seen some mention of getting frog eggs, which seems like it would be easier to ship, but I didn't find anyone selling them.

Also, any recommendations on what temp I should wait for the water to reach before introducing tadpoles?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
So after doing more research, it turns out that Southern leopard frogs (which are what is commonly sold) probably wouldn't survive here. On the other hand, Northern leopard frogs are native to my area, however there is a possibility they may go on the endangered species list. The common theory is that they are dying off due to increased use of pesticides. I'd really love to provide a protected habitat for these guys, but of course my pond isn't big enough to support very many. However I've been trying to find people I can contact to see if there are any programs for such a thing, so maybe someone will be able to hook me up with some eggs or tadpoles.

In the meantime, I've also run across a "plains" leopard frog, which is more of a brownish color - also native to my area, but also nowhere to been seen, nor can I find a source for them. Of course plenty of pet stores have bullfrog tadpoles, which I have no interest in. *sigh* It sure is hard to find suitable inhabitants for my garden!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My water is around 65 and the toads, frogs are dropping tons of eggs. When we had the toad and frog tads last year there did not seem to be a way to tell the difference.

Ask a Question